Nauticam NA-6D Underwater Housing for the Canon 6D
Nauticam announces the release of the NA-6D, the latest in its acclaimed line of precision crafted camera housings. Nauticam is the international leader in innovative underwater housing technology, and the new housing for the Canon 6D builds on the success of previous housings. The Canon 6D camera offers a full frame sensor at a lower price than the Canon 5D Mark III, but adds impressive new features like wireless control and GPS. The 6D can take advantage of Canon's superb lineup of lenses, including favorites for underwater like the Canon 8-15mm fisheye, the 16-35mm rectilinear zoom and the 100mm macro. Video shooters already know about Canon video and white balance, and the NA-6D delivers all of this in an unbeatable underwater housing.
FREE Standard Shipping to USA / Canada!
Base Price $
Price as Configured $
This product has been discontinued. Please scroll down for accessories and other options.
Overview / Product Description
Nauticam today announces the release of the NA-6D, the latest in its acclaimed line of precision crafted camera housings. Nauticam is the international leader in innovative underwater housing technology, and the new housing for the Canon 6D builds on the success of previous housings. The Canon 6D camera offers a full frame sensor at a lower price than the Canon 5D Mark III, but adds impressive new features like wireless control and GPS. The 6D can take advantage of Canon's superb lineup of lenses, including favorites for underwater like the Canon 8-15mm fisheye, the 16-35mm rectilinear zoom and the 100mm macro. Video shooters already know about Canon video and white balance, and the NA-6D delivers all of this in an unbeatable underwater housing.
The NA-6D Housing
Nauticam pioneered numerous engineering breakthroughs in previous housings that now come standard on the NA-6D. This new housing even borrows a control from it's Nikon brethren - the patent pending Multi Controller Pad that is located within easy reach of the right thumb. The Multi Controller Pad allows full multidirectional use of the 8-way controller, while still allowing for the rear command dial to be brought out to the right side of the housing. No other housing manufacturer comes close to achieving this kind of ergonomic access to these critical controls.
The patented housing Locking Latch System has received acclaim worldwide for its ease and functionality. These recessed latches are equipped with safety locks, reduce bulk and require minimal physical effort to engage and release. Port changes have never been simpler than utilizing the Patented Nauticam Locking Port Release. No wrestling, no twisting, no misalignment - just seat and lock. Lens changes are also easily accomplished without removing the camera from the housing using the lens release button logically accessed on the housing front. The lightweight, rugged Nauticam handles are generously contoured with a durable over-mold process of comfortable non-slip rubber.
Key NA-6D Features:
|Rugged housing body milled from solid aluminum||100m depth rating and built to last|
|Patented port locking lever||Easy and safe port mounting, solidly locks port in place|
|Knobby command dials||Can be operated even with thick gloves on|
|Patented housing locking latches||Secure but easy to use|
|Rubberized handle grips||Comfortable and placed for optimum access to controls|
|Lens release button||Easy changeout of lenses without removing camera from housing|
|Drop in camera tray||No need to preset controls, just drop in and it is ready to go|
|Fiber optic ports||Support for upcoming fiber optic trigger|
|2 Bulkheads, with Nikonos connectors||Nikonos connectors standard, HDMI Monitor optional|
|Viewfinder, 0.66x||Enhanced 180_ and 45_ viewfinders optional|
|Laser cut stainless steel handle brackets||For extra stability when using heavy lighting|
|Light mounting balls||2 handle mounted balls standard, mounting balls for housing optional|
|Tripod mounting points||Important for macro video shooters|
|Control labeling||Easy to find and understand control functions|
Nauticam has quickly become synonymous with ergonomic underwater camera housings. The NA-6D is an excellent example of why this is. Every control is well thoughtout, every button, lever and switch considered not in terms of what is easier for the designer, but what is right for the shooter. One only needs to look carefully at the engineering and design of the right hand side of this housing. The key shooting controls are all easily accessed with the right hand with very little finger movement required. While it may look daunting to the uninformed, after a few shots the controls become second nature. Shoot, change aperture, shoot, change shutter speed, flip to video, change shutter speed, start recording, change ISO - all with the thumb and forefinger, and all done quickly and easily.
"We are excited to see a lower cost full frame camera from Canon, especially one that doesn't skimp on important features for the underwater shooter such as great low-light performance and the new ALL-I codec for high quality video recording. The NA-6D housing includes Nauticam's outstanding ergonomic features it developed for the 5D MK III, with record, play, AF-ON and ISO levers easily accessible without removing your hands from the handles. With attractive price points for both the camera and housing, the Canon 6D is sure to be extremely popular with underwater photographers and videographers starting this summer." - Sterling Zumbrunn, CTO, Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo
NA-6D Controls (advantages/usage underwater):
- Sensitive two stage shutter release (easy to gauge half press; gives fine control over the shutter release)
- AF-ON Lever (strategically placed for easy thumb focus or thumb focus lock)
- Front Command Dial directly under shutter release (change aperture effortlessly)
- Rear Command Dial at left side next to thumb (change shutter speed without removing hand from grips)
- Multi Controller Pad controls the 8 way selector (instantly change focus points, even diagonally)
- Manual Zoom/Focus Knob (zoom/focus the lens without a reach)
- ISO Paddle at right thumb (very quick ISO changes; ISO has become a key control, especially for video)
- Info Button brought out to left thumb (calls up the important info screen, in playback mode toggles histogram)
- Playback button paddle at left thumb (makes reviewing images easy)
- Zoom button paddle at left thumb (zoom, check critical focus, pan without removing hand from grip)
- Mode dial (switch from P to Av to M modes easily)
- AF Mode, Drive Mode and Metering Mode push buttons (easy to change with Canon's push-turn style)
- Q, *, and Focus Points button accessible with right thumb (change focus points, lock exposure and much more)
- Trash button requires reach (no accidental deletions)
- Menu button near left thumb (access to all camera options)
- Movie/Still mode lever (effortless switch from still to movie shooting)
- Start/stop video on right thumb paddle (start video without inducing camera shake)
- Exposure compensation on right thumb lever (change exposure compensation quickly)
- Metering mode (easily change to spot for manual blue water metering)
- On/off switch automatically aligns(no need to preset camera)
The Canon 6D Camera
The Canon 6D is indicative of Canon's commitment to the full frame SLR, making it more affordable for the underwater shooter to take a backup body on a long trip. With it's excellent low noise performance in low light and legendary video capture with the best white balance for underwater use, the 6D is a compelling choice for the underwater shooter. Couple that with the broad range of excellent Canon lenses, and this camera will take the underwater shooter into the depths with gusto.
Canon 6D Key Features (and notes for underwater shooters):
- 20.2 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS Sensor (36mm x 24mm - full frame)
- ISO 50-102,400 (excellent high ISO, low light performance)
- Canon EF-Mount (support for Canon lenses like the 8-15mm)
- 3" 1.0mdot TFT-LCD (wide viewing angle, easy to see in bright sun)
- 6 white balance presets (best custom white balance in SLR)
- 11 focus points, -3EV focus sensitivity (most sensitive focus points of any current FF SLR)
- UHS-1 SD Card Compatible (fastest SD card format)
- Video with 1080p at 30fps, ALL-I or IPB compression (excellent video quality with headroom for post processing)
The quality of an image is only as good as the glass it was captured with, and Nauticam firmly belives that every lens that makes sense to be used underwater should be supported. Nauticam's lineup of ports, together with Zen Underwater dome ports is the most complete and extensive in the industry. Nauticam carefully evaluates new lenses, and is often first to market with support when a new lens is offered. Nauticam also provides the industrys only locking extension rings in every size potentially required, thus preventing port slippage when using extension rings. Nauticam additionally offers a full range of port adapters allowing existing housing owners to use their current ports, reducing the cost of switching to a Nauticam housing. Port Adapters are available for Aquatica, Ikelite, Inon, Nexus M5 & M6, Sea & Sea NX, Seacam, Subal Version 3 & 4, and Zillion lens ports.
Examples of supported lenses for 6D:
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
- Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
- Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM
- Canon EF 8-15mm /4L Fisheye USM
- Canon EF 8-15mm /4L Fisheye USM & Kenko 1.4X Pro DGX
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
- Canon EF 17-40mm /4L USM
- Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye
- Canon 24-105 /4L IS
- Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
- Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
- and more....
A high resolution camera like the Canon 6D demands perfect focus for optimal results. Fortunately, Nauticam has developed the most user-friendly interchangeable precision viewfinders in the world. The standard optical glass viewfinder is very good and travel friendly, but many photographers prefer the ease of a magnified viewfinder with adjustable diopter. Nauticam produces a straight 180_ enlarging viewfinder and a 45_ angled enlarging viewfinder to enhance the ease of close quarters work often associated with macro shooting. Both viewfinders have high quality optics allow viewing of the entire image. A patented external dioptric adjustment allows personal adjustment to a sharp-as-a-tack standard underwater and viewfinder changes can be executed in less than 30 seconds without using tools. Exceptional composition and focus accuracy have never been more accessible.
Nauticams NA-DP4 housing for the Small HD DP4 Monitor can take video performance to another level by rendering the video image in a position more amenable to the shooter. The monitor housing easily mounts to the top of the NA-6D and utilizes the optional HDMI Bulkhead for true HDMI connectivity. Utilizing DP4 features like Focus Peaking, Focus Assist, False Color, 1:1 Mapping and more, this larger monitor vastly improves composition, focus capability and exposure.
Optional accessories available for the NA-6D:
- 180_ Enhancing Viewfinder
- 45_ Enhanching Viewfinder
- Complete line of ports for all major lenses
- Locking port extension rings from 10mm to 70mm
- Monitor Housing for SmallHD DP4 Monitor
- Fiber optic cables for Inon and Sea & Sea
- Full line of mounting accessories for lighting, including mount balls, strobe adapters, arms, clamps, and specialty items
- Multiple styles of lanyards
- Lens holders, including flip-up
- Focus and Zoom gears for many Canon, Tokina, and Sigma lenses
- Port Adapters for Aquatica, Ikelite, Inon, Nexus M5 & M6, Sea & Sea NX, Seacam, Subal Version 3 & 4, and Zillion
- Handle accessories including smaller handles, handle extensions for cold water diving
The Bottom Line
The Canon 6D offers full frame performance at a lower price, Canon still and video excellence with the best available white balance, and access to the superb Canon glass in the most ergonomic housing available.
- Depth Rating: 100m
- Weight: 3.3kg
- Dimensions (with handles mounted): 350mm x 190mm x 135mm