Nauticam Canon EOS R3 Underwater Housing NA-R3
Nauticam Canon EOS R3 Underwater Housing NA-R3
Add a Vacuum System
Add a Viewfinder
Enhance your shooting with a magnifying viewfinder.
Add an Optical Flash Trigger
Add a Spare O-ring
Price as Configured
Overview / Product Description
Nauticam Canon EOS R3 Underwater Housing NA-R3
The Canon R3 is one of the most exciting camera releases of the year in the underwater imaging world along with the Sony A1 and Nikon Z9. All three cameras represent the pinnacle of each manufacturer's technological developments distilled into a pro-level hybrid-shooting mirrorless body. The R3 turns up the performance level of the features that makes Canon a popular choice with underwater users such as their Dual Pixel AF and top-tier video recording specs while maintaining excellent still image quality.
THE CANON EOS R3 CAMERAThe Canon EOS R3 in all respects appears to be the mirrorless sibling of the 1DX Mark III DSLR, clearly aimed at fulfilling many of the same roles while offering some additional capabilities through the use of the electronic viewfinder and the larger RF lens mount. The full-frame 24.1MP Stacked CMOS sensor, in addition to having incredible low-light performance, can also capture full-width 6K video in both Raw and compressed formats at up to 60fps. The R3 is paired to Canon's industry-leading Dual Pixel AF system with 100% frame coverage and the now revived Eye AF system.
DUAL PIXEL AF IICanon's Dual Pixel autofocus system has long been a favorite of underwater users, especially when it comes to tacking subjects. With the R3, the system adds an additional 'Animal' recognition mode which might make the system even more reliable at following moving subjects. Frame coverage is 100% with 1053 zones to ensure accurate focus wherever the subject may be.
LOW LIGHT PERFORMANCEThe ability to increase a camera's ISO with little penalty is of critical importance to underwater shooters for both stills and video as shooting with higher F-stop values delivers sharper corners and higher shutter speeds mean less motion blur. The higher video frame rates also benefit by allowing the shooter to maintain a 180º shutter while still maintaining adequate aperture values. When using color correction filters, which can often remove more than a full stop of light, compensation via ISO is not as much of an issue for overall image quality. Maintaining dynamic range, even at high ISO levels is also important for those shooting still images using natural light or in poor water conditions.
ENHANCED CONTROLSThe R3 features an additional control wheel located at the upper right rear of the camera which doubles as the mode control. This wheel can be assigned a variety of functions such as ISO and is adjusted by a dedicated control wheel on the housing within easy reach of the right handle.
VIDEO CAPABILITIESThe Canon R3 can capture 6K video at up to 60fps in either Raw or more compressed formats. The 6K capture uses the full sensor width which means no loss in field-of-view. 12-bit 6K capture is possible in both uncompressed Canon Raw or compressed Raw light formats. 10-bit H.265 is also possible in both the HDR PQ and Canon Log3 gamma curves to maximize dynamic range for post-processing while maintaining smaller file sizes than a Raw format. It's also possible (when using supported cards) to simultaneously record 10-bit 4:2:2 DCI 4K 60p video. For those looking for higher frame rates, 10-bit 4:2:2 compressed 4K/120fps can also be captured, downsampled from the full sensor width. A natively sampled 4K S35 crop is also an option, allowing for more magnification or the use of APS-C lenses. The R3 also outputs a clean 6K signal over HDMI via an HDMI Micro Type D connector. Direct custom white balance in live view is also now possible, making a critical function for underwater video even easier.
STABILIZATIONThe R3 features 5-axis In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) which can offer up to 8 stops of correction allowing for even smoother video and less camera movement related blur.
LARGE ELECTRONIC VIEWFINDERThe R3's EVF is an OLED 5.76M-dot that features an OVF simulation mode that leverages. the large dynamic range of the OLED screen to reproduce a scene the way it would look through an optical viewfinder. The lower dynamic range of electronic viewfinders has always made them more difficult to use underwater, especially in high contrast or backlit scenes. This function can easily be switched on and off by assigning it to a custom function button. When using the Electronic Shutter, which has an X-Sync speed of 1/180sec, the EVF delivers true no-blackout shooting up to 30fps.
THE NAUTICAM NA-R3 UNDERWATER HOUSINGThe Nauticam NA-R3 professional aluminum underwater housing for the Canon EOS R3 mirrorless full-frame camera is a true hybrid shooting solution, just as the R3 itself. Nauticam has continuously supported both the Canon pro-level DSLR lineup as well as the growing full-frame RF-mount mirrorless cameras with innovative underwater housings and the new NA-R3 is the combination of all those technologies. Blending elements of our 1D series housings with those for the R series, the NA-R3 will be the most capable housing for the R3 available.
MISSION CONTROLNauticam engineers each housing to ensure that controls are placed where they are needed most and within easy reach of a natural hand position. The NA-R3 features large knurled control dials for the main and sub-command dials as well as an additional shoulder dial for the customizable control wheel of the R3. A fourth control wheel, near the front of the left handle, can articulate the ring of the optional EF-to-RF lens adapter when using EF lenses. There is a dual thumb lever on the right side for Record and AF-ON as well as single levers for M-Fn and Fn2. A lever on the left side actuates the Pv control which can change between exposure preview and OVF simulation modes on the EVF. An additional dual thumb lever on the left side is for Playback and Magnification.
HDMI 2.0 AND MOUNTING POINTSThe R3 can output clean 6K 60p over HDMI and the NA-R3 features a large bore M24 bulkhead to support an HDMI 2.0 connection to an external monitor or recorder. Mounting the monitor or recorder or other accessories is even easier with 3x 1/4"-20 mounting holes as well as an additional M10 mounting point atop the housing. Check the resources sidebar for supported monitor/recorder housings and recommended accessories.
FLASH TRIGGERINGFlash triggering can be accomplished via the two included M14 electronic bulkheads (One is pre-installed in the M24 bulkhead via a removable M26-M14 adapter). If using fiber-optic triggering, the built-in fiber optic bulkheads can be used with either the optional manual LED or TTL-flash triggers to provide the desired type of strobe power control.
PREMIUM PROFESSIONAL OPTICSThe NA-R3 is built around the N120 Canon RF-mount Port System which supports a wide array of Canon RF mount lenses with a selection of optical glass and acrylic ports. With lens-removal controls for both EF and RF mount lenses, the NA-R3 can support both lens mount types without modification to the housing. The EF-RF lens adapter is accommodated inside the housing which allows for the use of the N120 Canon EF-mount Port System without any additional extension rings. When switching between an EF and RF lens, the camera must be removed to install or remove the adapter. The Nauticam lineup of Premium Professional Optics can deliver unparalleled optical quality and expanded creative options. When used with the Canon RF 14-35 F/4 IL USM lens, the WACP-2 creates a stunning 140º field of view while maintaining an incredibly natural-looking image and excellent corner sharpness. The SMC-1 delivers 2.3x macro magnification to the RF 100mm macro lens while the SMC-2 delivers 3.3x.
VACUUM CHECK AND LEAK DETECTION SYSTEMThe housing comes with electronics pre-installed for Nauticam's Vacuum Check and Leak Detection system, requiring only the optional M16 Vacuum Valve (25625). This monitoring system provides constant updates on the water-tight and safe-to-dive status of the housing. A simple color-coded LED lighting system lets the user know that the vacuum is solid, or that the housing is losing vacuum. Leak detection is built into the same circuit, so if there is water intrusion, an audible and visual indication will occur. The Nauticam system is temperature compensated, eliminating false alarms caused by a change in outside temperature, or from a camera heating up on an action-packed dive.
PATENTED PORT LOCKING SYSTEMUnveiled on the very first Nauticam DSLR housing in 2009, this locking lever has become a signature of the Nauticam brand. No twisting or threading action is required to mount a port, and it locks securely in place with this lever. Nauticam also offers locking port extensions, meaning a dome will never twist, even when used with a long extension ring.
MISSION CONTROLNauticam engineers pride themselves on giving the underwater image-maker unparalleled access to the essential exposure controls from within easy reach of their housing's handles, making the ergonomic handles of the housing their Mission Control.
HDMI CONNECTIVITYThe NA-R3 features an M24 bulkhead that supports both HDMI 2.0 and 1.4 output to an external monitor or recorder such as the Atomos Ninja V.
HOUSING LOCKING LATCHESThe industry's easiest to use housing closure system, requiring very little hand strength to operate, secures the housing back in place. The latches are safely locked to prevent accidental opening, but are easy to open when needed for a quick battery or memory card change
What's In The Box
- NA-R3 Housing with two handles and mount balls
- 2pcs of 5 pin bulkhead pre-installed
- 90222 Spare main O-ring, o-ring remover and lubricant
- 2x Optical bulkhead caps
- Panasonic CR-2450 Battery (for moisture alarm)
- Set of Allen Keys
- Manual instruction card
- Padded housing bag and shoulder strap
- 25221 M10 strobe mounting ball for housing
- 25625 M16 Vacuum Valve II (Pushbutton Release)
- 32211 Nauticam Full Frame Straight Viewfinder 32°/ 1:1
- 32212 Nauticam Full Frame Straight Viewfinder 40°/ 0.8:1
- 32213 Nauticam Full Frame Angle Viewinder 32°/ 1:1
- 32214 Nauticam Full Frame Angle Viewinder 40°/ 0.8:1
- 32201 Nauticam 180˚ straight viewfinder
- 32203 Nauticam 45˚ viewfinder
- 26301 Flash trigger for Canon
- 26321 TTL Flash Trigger for Canon
- 26216 Universal Optical Fiber Cable
- 19561 Gear for Canon EF-EOS R Control Ring Mount Adaptor
- 26320 Control Kit for Canon Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R, Compatible from SN A482725
- 28130 Hand Strap for 28113 (For NA-1DXII/1DXIII/D500/D5/80D/A9)
- 25017 M14 6 pin bulkhead for Canon system
- 25020 Canon hotshoe plug to a M14 Nikonos bulkhead (x and ground connection only)
- 90222 Housing O-ring (I.D.=220mm, C.S.=4.0mm)
HDMI Output Accessories
Required accessories for HDMI 2.0 Cable System
- 25086 M24 adaptor for HDMI 2.0 cable (incl. tightening tool)
- 25077 M24D1R205-M28A1R170 HDMI 2.0 Cable (for NA-XT3 to use with Ninja V housing (SN from A387700)
- 17922 Nauticam Atomos Ninja V Housing for Atomos Ninja V 5” 4Kp60 4:2:2 1 0-bit Reorder/Monitor/Player (excl. HDMI 2.0 cable)
- 17922S Nauticam Atomos Ninja V-S Housing for Atomos Ninja V 5” 4Kp60 4:2:2 10-bit Reorder/Monitor/Player (excl. HDMI 2.0 cable) with Atomos AtomX SDI Module
Required accessories for HDMI 1.4 Cable System
- 25033 Standard HDMI bulkhead with M16 thread*
- 25081 M24-M16 Step Down Adaptor
- 25076 HDMI (D-D) Cable in 200mm Length for NA-XT2 (for internal connection from HDMI bulkhead to camera)
- *25033 is included in monitor housing
- 17920 NA-502B-H Housing for SmallHD 502 Bright Monitor
- 17923 NA-Shinobi-H Housing for Atomos Shinobi 5.2" 4K HDMI Monitor
- 17925 NA-503-H Housing for SmallHD 503 UltraBright On-Camera Monitor
Required Accessories for Surface control by Ethernet
- 16281 Housing Lemo Bulkhead with Integrated Ethernet Cable
- 16282 Nauticam Ethernet Surface Cable in 45 meter length
- 16283 Nauticam Ethernet Surface Cable in 5 meter length
Required Monitor Mounting system
- 17951 Nauticam Atomos Shogun housing mounting system
- 17954 Tripod plate for NA-A7S and NA-GH4
- 17957 Nauticam Atomos Shogun Housing Mounting Adaptor for NA-S1R/S1H/BMPCC/E2F
- 17960 Universal Quadra-Pod Plate for Nauticam Housings
- Dimensions: 363mm(W)x236mm(H)x161mm(D) / 14.3in(W)x9.3in(H)x6.3in(D)
- Weight in air: 3.6kg / 7.9lbs
- Weight in water: 0.6kg / 1.3lbs (incl. camera and batter)
- Depth Rating: 100m / 330ft