Canon PowerShot G1X Digital Camera
Canon PowerShot G1X Digital Camera
Bright, fast and more creative than ever: advanced technologies come together for an exciting new camera that moves beyond anything the G-Series has seen before. The PowerShot G1 X digital camera will inspire advanced amateurs who have embraced the G-Series to explore new realms of photographic expression, and give pros an excellent camera that complements their creative demands.
FREE Standard Shipping to USA / Canada!
Base Price $
Price as Configured $
This product has been discontinued. Please scroll down for accessories and other options.
This product has been discontinued. Please scroll down for accessories and other options.
Base Price $
Price as Configured $7,389.85
Overview / Product Description
The Pinnacle of PowerShot.
Bright, fast and more creative than ever: advanced technologies come together for an exciting new camera that moves beyond anything the G-Series has seen before. The PowerShot G1 X digital camera will inspire advanced amateurs who have embraced the G-Series to explore new realms of photographic expression, and give pros an excellent camera that complements their creative demands. The new 1.5-inch High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor approaches an EOS DSLR's APS-C sized sensor, with a light-sensitive area that's approximately 6.3 times larger than that of the PowerShot G12 digital camera. The new 14.3 Megapixel sensor, combined with a new lens and DIGIC 5 Image Processor, creates the HS SYSTEM that delivers image quality previously impossible in a compact camera, with beautiful blur, lower noise, and extraordinary resolution in low-light shooting and can shoot at ISOs of up to 12800. The PowerShot G1 X also has 14-bit RAW capabilities for even greater creative control and Full HD Video recording. Manual settings and operability inherited from EOS cameras impart a high-level shooting experience, and open the door to new creative possibilities. Substantive luxury defines the design: a neatly clarified sculpture with a firm grip, huge Vari-angle LCD and optical viewfinder.
Image Quality Never Before Seen in a Compact Camera.
Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor
The latest-generation Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor brings phenomenal increases in processing speed and power. Improved chip architecture and algorithms deliver greatly expanded functionality with further refinement in image quality. Improved noise reduction produces clearer images when shooting in low light at high ISO speeds. Enhanced i-Contrast performance adjusts differences between light and dark areas to achieve even more natural-looking results. The faster processing speed also results in faster continuous shooting capability. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor also makes possible a new, highly advanced automatic white balance system. Whereas conventional white balance makes an overall adjustment based on a single type of light source, the new Canon Multi-Area White Balance analyzes several areas of the image to determine whether different adjustments are needed, for example, for the main subject and the background.
Canon 1.5-inch, 14.3 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
Canon engineers developed a sensor for PowerShot G1 X digital camera that is nearly the size of an EOS DSLR camera's APS-C sized sensor, and built with a similar pixel structure - each pixel site is larger, allowing more light to be captured - giving the PowerShot G1 X a completely different level of image quality than compact cameras that have come before it. At 1.5 inches, the sensor is approximately 6.3 times larger than that of the PowerShot G12 digital camera. This heightened degree of sensitivity, along with 14.3 Megapixels, delivers several distinct advantages. Noise is dramatically reduced at high ISO speeds for clear low-light and nighttime shooting. Resolution at low ISO speeds is incredibly rich and precise. And, most atypically for a compact camera, the PowerShot G1 X digital camera allows you to create the intensely beautiful background blur that is the hallmark of DSLR cameras.
Canon HS SYSTEM
The Canon HS SYSTEM lets you take bright, clear photos in an even wider range of shooting situations. Beautiful low-light shots are possible with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlight and shadow areas. The system is the result of two technologies brought together in PowerShot cameras: a high-sensitivity imaging sensor, which is able to capture more light; and the DIGIC Image Processor, which actively reduces noise with high-speed image processing. The 14.3 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor in the PowerShot G1 X incorporates advanced light reception technology that enhances sensitivity. The new DIGIC 5 Image Processor provides a major boost in noise reduction, expanding the usable range to an amazingly high ISO 12800. The HS SYSTEM thus lets you use higher shutter speeds to capture clearer images with reduced noise and blur.
EOS-level Creative Control.
Shooting and Recording Modes Including 14-bit RAW + JPEG
The PowerShot G1 X offers a host of shooting and recording modes ranging from fully automatic to fully manual.For the ultimate in creative control, the PowerShot G1 X allows you to record in 14-bit RAW + JPEG. 14-bit signal processing, just as in EOS series cameras, gives images notably rich detail and smooth gradation. Compared with 12-bit processing, 14-bit offers a 4x increase in RAW data, makes a visible impact, giving images rich detail in both highlights and shadows as well as smoother, more natural tonal gradation for outstanding image quality. RAW images can be edited to a photographer's exact specifications with bundled software for increased creative control. In addition, RAW and JPEG can be record simultaneously.
Memorable Moments in Spectacular Full HD.
Canon Full HD Video Advantage
In addition to the HS SYSTEM, the combination of the advanced CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5 Image Processor in the PowerShot G1 X digital camera makes it possible to shoot crisp, clear high definition video. Imagine the fun and excitement of being able to shoot spectacular 1080p Full HD video with stereo sound that you can later watch on your HDTV or download to your computer to share with family and friends. In addition to being able to shoot Full HD 1080p video at 24* frames per second, the PowerShot G1 X digital camera can also shoot 720p HD video at 30** frames per second.
Dedicated Movie Button, Wind filter feature and Optical Zoom for easy video capture
It's never been easier to shoot videos with a PowerShot digital camera. The PowerShot G1 X has a dedicated movie button that lets you start and stop recording instantly. There is no need to go through layers of menus or operate switches or dials to switch to and from video recording mode. The camera is always ready to shoot stills or video whenever you want. The PowerShot G1 X also incorporates an electronic wind filter, which suppresses wind noise that can muffle or distort the sound. And unlike less sophisticated point-and-shoot cameras, the PowerShot G1 X lets you use the full range of optical zoom when you're shooting a video.
HDTV Playback via HDMI with CEC Support
It's easy to enjoy and share the videos you shoot with the PowerShot G1 X. Simply connect its HDMI terminal to your HDTV using an HDMI cable. And because the PowerShot G1 X supports HDMI-CEC technology, you'll be able to control the playback of your images and videos on any CEC-enabled HDTV using the TV's remote control. (CEC - Consumer Electronic Control - is part of the HDMI specification, enabling components in a system to communicate with one another.)
With the PowerShot G1 X, you can also shoot video in the Apple iFrame format, which is a computer-friendly standard that speeds up importing and editing of videos. It keeps file sizes small, making it more convenient to upload or e-mail high-quality videos. The iFrame format enjoys native support in compatible Mac and Windows video applications, making it unnecessary to perform time-consuming and often quality-degrading conversions.
4x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom and 28mm Lens
The PowerShot G1 X digital camera is equipped with a newly designed 4x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom and 28mm lens (35mm equivalent: 28-112mm), built with the knowledge acquired over decades of Canon leadership in optical technology innovation. Canon engineers specifically designed this lens to take advantage of the PowerShot G1 X digital camera's exceptionally large sensor. Bright and fast, the f/2.8 lens captures a wealth of subtle detail, even indoors and in dark scenes, and easily covers a full range of shooting situations. It incorporates the latest in Canon UA lens technology, suppressing lens aberration for outstanding image quality throughout the entire zoom range. Images are richly expressive, from areas of highest resolution to beautifully artistic background blurs. The wide angle gives you more to work with in every shot, expanding your avenues for creative photography. Zooming is fast and precise, and 4x power takes you in for the close-up.
UA Lens Technology
Pioneered by Canon, UA Lens technology makes possible compact lenses with remarkable optical performance. By using molded glass with an ultra-high refractive index in aspherical lens elements, Canon has succeeded in reducing lens size while significantly reducing image aberrations. Another stellar example of cutting-edge Canon optics, UA Lens technology helps make PowerShot digital cameras pocket-friendly and capable of astounding image quality.
Optical Image Stabilizer
Handheld shooting can often lead to camera shake, making photos and videos blurry. Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer is a sophisticated system that shifts a lens group to correct unwanted camera movement. It makes handheld photography more practical in more shooting situations. For photos, it enables shooting at slower shutter speeds, accommodating more low-light shooting situations of up to 4 stops without having to boost ISO sensitivity. With camera shake reduced, you get a sharper, steadier image.
A Steady Image Is a Beautiful Image.
The latest advance in Canon Optical Image Stabilization technology, Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system automatically selects among Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid) and Tripod IS modes. When shooting video, the system automatically selects among Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make the most effective IS settings to assure the steadiest possible image.
Get the Shot from Any Angle.
3.0-inch Vari-Angle PureColor System LCD
With the PowerShot G1 X digital camera, difficult shooting angles won't stop you from getting the shot you want. The camera's big 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD screen swivels out and rotates, tilting up and down to give you access to the highest and lowest angles for shooting flexibility that greatly enhances your creative expression. You can also capture perfectly centered self-portraits or put yourself into group shots. The LCD screen's benefits don't end with mobility. A resolution of 922,000 dots gives you an unprecedented level of detail in the images you're composing. The high resolution level also makes it easy to read on-screen information when you're adjusting camera settings and accessing shot information. Full-spectrum color is true and natural. As befits a high-performance camera designed for advanced users, the PowerShot G1 X digital camera is equipped with an optical viewfinder as well. Shoot SLR-style with the real image optical zoom finder, and customize the viewfinder for your vision with dioptric adjustment.
Versatile Still and Video Shooting Options.
High-Speed Burst HQ
Utilizing the increased processing speed and power of the new Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor, High-Speed Burst HQ makes it possible to capture fast action stills at full resolution during continuous shooting. The results are exceptionally high-quality images recorded in rapid sequence. In this mode, the PowerShot G1 X can capture a maximum of 6 shots in a single burst.*
Creating a video* containing highlights of a family vacation or an important occasion is a lot easier than you might think. When you use Movie Digest on the PowerShot G1 X, the camera will automatically record a short video clip (up to approximately 4 seconds) every time you shoot a still image. That entire day's worth of clips will then be automatically combined into a single video.
High Dynamic Range
In High Dynamic Range, the camera will shoot three different exposures in succession and then merge them together to produce a spectacular image with highly detailed shadow and highlight areas.
Miniature Effect for Movies
Emphasizes perspective for a miniature effect by blurring upper and bottom portions of videos and stills.
Creative Lighting Options for Pro-level Images.
Compatibility with Canon Speedlite Flashes
The PowerShot G1 X digital camera gives you access to exciting EOS accessories including the new Macro Light Adapter MLA-DC1, Macro Ring Light MR-14EX, and all of the Canon Speedlite flashes, long revered by professional photographers. The high output of Speedlite flashes brings out the depth and texture of your images in full, natural beauty. The ultra-lightweight Canon Speedlite 270EX II is a compact, high-performance flash unit that's fun and easy, with adjustable illumination angle and guide number. The versatile new Speedlite 320EX features an LED light on the front of the flash body that can be used to illuminate nearby subjects in dim light, ideal for shooting video.
EOS-like Manual Shooting.
Mode Dial and Front Dial
PowerShot G1 X allows fully manual shooting to give you complete creative control over your images. Adjustment of settings is streamlined and intuitive, with a design based on Canon EOS operability. A bi-level dial on top of the camera sets the mode and allows quick adjustment of exposure compensation. An ergonomically-placed electronic dial located on the camera's front provides a natural feel for control over camera settings letting you concentrate on getting the perfect shot. Step-zoom allocation is also available.
Beautiful Images with Beautiful Detail.
High Dynamic Range Scene Mode
Shooting in high contrast environments can often result in photos with overexposed and underexposed sections. So to tackle this problem, Canon developed the High Dynamic Range shooting mode to make shooting even more intuitive. Under High Dynamic Range* the camera will shoot three different exposures in a succession (underexposed, overexposed and normal) and then merge them into a single image. Underexposed areas are combined with the overexposed and vice versa, resulting in an evenly detailed image with flattering shadows and highlights.
- Type :Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 4x Optical, 4x Digital, and 16x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer
- Image Capture Device
- Type: 14.3 Megapixels, 1.5-inch CMOS
- Total Pixels: Approx. 15.0 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 14.3 Megapixels
- Focal Length: 15.1 (W) - 60.4mm (T) (35mm film equivalent: 28 (W) - 112mm (T)
- Digital Zoom: 4x
- Focusing Range:
- Normal: 1.3 ft. (40cm) - infinity (W), 4.3 ft. (1.3m) - infinity (T)
- Auto: 7.9 in. (20cm) - infinity (W), 2.8 ft. (85cm) - infinity (T)
- Macro: 7.9 in. - 2.3 ft. (20-70cm) (W), 2.8 ft. - 5.2 ft. (85cm - 1.6m) (T)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus
- Optical Viewfinder: Real-image zoom viewfinder
- LCD Monitor: 3.0-inch TFT color LCD (Vari-angle type with wide-viewing angle)
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 922,000 dots
- LCD Coverage: Approx. 100%
- Aperture and Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8 (W)-f/5.8 (T)
- The following f/numbers are available in Av or M:
- W: f/2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.6, 6.3, 7.1, 8.0, 9.0, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16
- T: f/5.8, 6.3, 7.1, 8.0, 9.0, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16
- Differs depending on the zoom position
- Shutter Speed
- 1-1/4000 sec.
- 60-1/4000 sec. (Total shutter speed range)
- Shutter speed range differs depending on the shooting mode
- Shutter speeds available in Tv and M:
- 60, 50, 40, 30, 25, 20, 15, 13, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3.2, 2.5, 2, 1.6, 1.3, 1, 0.8, 0.6, 0.5, 0.4, 0.3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/8, 1/10, 1/13, 1/15, 1/20, 1/25, 1/30, 1/40, 1/50, 1/60, 1/80, 1/100, 1/125, 1/160, 1/200, 1/250, 1/320, 1/400, 1/500, 1/640, 1/800, 1/1000, 1/1250, 1/1600, 1/2000,1/2500, 1/3200, 1/4000 (Units: sec.)
- Exposure Control
- Auto*, ISO 100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/ 4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800 (When in P mode)
- *Optimal ISO speed is automatically set depending on the shooting mode.
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative*1, Center-weighted average, Spot*2
- *1 Facial brightness is evaluated (Face Detect AE) in Face Detect. *2 Fixed to Center, linked to AF frame
- Exposure Control Method: AE Lock (not available when shooting movies)
- Exposure Compensation: +/-3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- White Balance
- White Balance Control: Auto*, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Underwater, Custom1, Custom2
- *Facial color is evaluated in Face AiAF (Face Detect WB).
- Adjusts the white balance separately for the main subject and the background when the flash fires.
- Built-in Flash: Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off - Facial brightness is also evaluated in Face Detect
- Flash Range: 1.6-23 ft. (W), 3.3-10.2 ft. (T) (50cm-7.0m (W), 1.0-3.1m (T) - Image brightness may diminish depending on the shooting distance.
- Recycling Time: 5.0 seconds or less (battery voltage: 7.4 V)
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Shooting Specifications
- Shooting Modes: C1, C2, M, Av, Tv, P, Auto*1, SCN*2, Creative Filters*3, Movie*4
- - Shooting movies is possible with the movie button
- *1 Smart Auto also available for movies
- *2 Movie Digest, Portrait, Landscape, Kids & Pets, Sports, Smart Shutter*5, High-Speed Burst HQ, Handheld Night Scene, Beach, Underwater, Foliage, Snow, Fireworks, Stitch Assist
- *3 High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap
- *4 Standard, iFrame Movie
- *5 Smile, Wink Self-timer, Face Self-timer
- Photo Effects: My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin, Darker Skin, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color*
- * Adjustment of contrast, sharpness, saturation, red, green, blue and skin tone are available.
- - Not available in RAW and RAW+JPEG
- Self Timer: Approx. 10-sec. delay, Approx. 2-sec. delay, Custom*
- * Delay time (0 - 15 sec. (in one-second increments), 20/25/30 sec.) and number of shots (1-10 shots (in one-shot increments)) can be specified.
- Wireless Control - Not available
- Continuous Shooting:
- Normal: Approx. 1.9 shots/sec. (in P mode), Approx. 4.5 shots/sec. (in High-speed Burst HQ mode)*
- AF: Approx. 0.7 shots/sec. (in P mode)
- LV: Approx. 0.7 shots/sec. (in P mode)
- - Under conditions where the flash does not fire automatically.
- - Differs depending on the zoom position.
- * Max. of 6 continuous shots per burst
- Image Storage
- Storage Media: SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card
- File Format: Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF (Version 1.1) compliant
- Image Recording Format: Normal, Fine, RAW
- JPEG Compression Mode:
- Still Image: Exif 2.3 JPEG, RAW (14 bit, CR2 (Canon Original)) Video: MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio data: Linear PCM (2 channel stereo))
- Videos: MOV (Image data: H.264, Audio data: Linear PCM (Stereo))
- Number of Recording Pixels
- Still Images:
- [16:9] - Large: 4352 x 2448, Medium 1: 3072 x 1728, - Medium 2: 1920 x 1080, Small: 640 x 360
- [3:2] - Large: 4352 x 2904, Medium 1: 3072 x 2048, - Medium 2: 1600 x 1064, Small: 640 x 424
- [4:3] - Large: 4352 x 3264, Medium 1: 3072 x 2304, - Medium 2: 1600 x 1200, Small: 640 x 480 - RAW: 4352 x 3264
- [1:1] - Large: 3264 x 3264, Medium 1: 2304 x 2304, - Medium 2: 1200 x 1200, Small: 480 x 480
- [4:5] - Large: 2608 x 3264, Medium 1: 1840 x 2304, - Medium 2: 960 x 1200, Small: 384 x 480
- [iFrame Movie] - 1280 x 720 (30 fps*1)
- [Miniature Effect] - 1280 x 720*2 / 640 x 480*2
- [Other than the above*3] - 1920 x 1080 (24 fps*4), 1280 x 720 (30 fps*1) / 640 x 480 (30 fps*1)
- *1 Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps.
- *2 Shooting: 6 fps, 3 fps, 1.5 fps Playback: 30 fps*1
- *3 Movies made in Movie Digest mode: 640 x 480 (30 fps*1) only.
- *4 Actual frame rate is 23.976 fps.
- Playback Specifications
- Playback Modes File
- Still Images & Movies: Auto Rotate, Transition Effects (Off, Scroll, Slide, Fade), Scroll Display, Rotate, Favorites, My Category, Search Jump (Favorites*1, Date*1, My Category*2, Still Images/Movies/Movie Digest, Jump 10 Images*1, Jump 100 Images*1), Smart Shuffle, Group Playback, Movie Digest, Filtered Playback, Slideshow
- *1 Can also be controlled with Front Dial
- *2 No category also selectable
- Still Images: Single, Index, Magnification (Approx. 2x-10x), Thumbnails (4-100), Information Display, Histogram, Overexposure Warning, Resume Playback, Red-Eye Correction, i-Contrast, Trimming, Resize, My Colors
- Movies: Normal Playback, Slow Motion, Skip Backward, Previous Frame, Next Frame, Skip Forward, Resume Playback, Delete Unwanted Portions of a Clip
- Erasing Specifications
- Erase Modes: Select*1, Select Range, Select All Images*2
- - The image data in memory card stored with the design rule for camera file systems format can be erased (however, protected images cannot be erased).
- - RAW+JPEG images can be erased individually.
- *1 Movies can be erased individually.
- *2 When images have been selected in filtered playback, only those images will be played back.
- Computer Interface: Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (Dedicated connector (female) with unified type of digital, audio and video*1) *1 mini-B compatible
- Video Out: Analog: NTSC or PAL, Digital: HDMI (HDMI mini connector)
- Audio Out: Stereo
- Other: Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Inkjet Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Cable
- Power Source
- 1. Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack NB-10L
- 2. Compact Power Adapter CA-PS700 (included with AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC80)
- Shooting Capacity:
- LCD Monitor on: Approx. 250 shots
- LCD Monitor off: Approx. 700 shots
- Approx: 310 shots when in Quick Shot mode (LCD monitor on)
- Playback Time: Approx. 7 hours
- Physical Specifications
- Operating Temperature: 32-104_F/0-40_C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90%
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 4.60 x 3.17 x 2.55 in. / 116.7 x 80.5 x 64.7mm
- Approx. 17.3 oz. / 492g (Camera only)
- Approx. 19.0 oz. / 534g (Including the battery and memory card)
- 27 display languages provided (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, and Hindi.)
- All data are based on Canon's Standard Test Method. Subject to change without notice.
- Canon, DIGIC, ELPH, PIXMA, and PowerShot and SELPHY are registered trademarks of Canon Inc. in the United States and may also be registered trademarks or trademarks in other countries. Microsoft, Windows and Windows Vista are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. All other products and brand names are registered trademarks, trademarks or service marks of their respective owners in the United States and/or other countries.