Sony NEX-7 Camera with 18-55mm lens
Sony NEX-7 Camera with 18-55mm lens
So much more than a pocket camera, the 24.3MP NEX-7 exceeds expectations. Get performance that would give most DSLRs camera envy, including interchangeable lenses, a 2359K dot Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder, up to 10fps shooting, and outstanding Tri-Navi 3-dial manual control. Record amazing HD movies in super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920x1080 resolution.6 Enjoy the stunning imagery the AVCHD codec delivers or use the MP4 codec for smaller file sizes and easier upload to the web. With the same APS-C sensor size as a DSLR, a higher resolution than most DSLRs and the interchangeable lenses that make DSLRs so attractive, the NEX-7 is still just about half the weight and half the size as its DSLR counterparts. The included E-mount 18-55mm lens will have you documenting the touching, the stunning and the inspirational in no time.OPEN BOX SPECIAL
This product has been discontinued. Please scroll down for accessories and other options.
This product has been discontinued. Please scroll down for accessories and other options.
Overview / Product Description
So much more than a pocket camera, the 24.3MP NEX-7 exceeds expectations. Get performance that would give most DSLRs camera envy, including interchangeable lenses, a 2359K dot Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder, up to 10fps shooting, and outstanding Tri-Navi 3-dial manual control. Record amazing HD movies in super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920x1080 resolution.6 Enjoy the stunning imagery the AVCHD codec delivers or use the MP4 codec for smaller file sizes and easier upload to the web. With the same APS-C sensor size as a DSLR, a higher resolution than most DSLRs and the interchangeable lenses that make DSLRs so attractive, the NEX-7 is still just about half the weight and half the size as its DSLR counterparts. The included E-mount 18-55mm lens will have you documenting the touching, the stunning and the inspirational in no time.
DSLR quality in your pocket
Heres the same APS-C sensor size as a DSLR, with higher resolution than most DSLRs and the interchangeable lenses that make DSLRs so attractive. Yet the camera is about half the size and weight of a typical DSLR camera. Removing the conventional mirror box and viewfinder makes it possible.
Up to 10 fps shooting
Capture the decisive moment in sports and get the ideal baby photo. Up to 10 fps continuous shooting at full 24.3 MP resolution with exposure and focus fixed at the first frame. Standard continuous shooting at up to 2.5 fps.
HD movies with full manual control
Now you dont need to surrender control when you shoot HD movies. Enjoy the full expressive potential of Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or Manual (P/A/S/M) control in HD movie mode.
Hot shoe for system flashes
Take your photography even further with access to the entire range of Sony system flashes and flash accessories.
Tiltable 3.0" LCD
Sony's 3.0 Xtra Fine LCD monitor has 921K dots for superb resolution. The TruBlack screen includes a special resin layer to suppress internal reflections, increasing contrast compared to conventional LCDs. Sunny Weather mode boosts visibility even further. Tilts down 45_ and up 80_ to frame high- and low-angle shots that would otherwise be hit-or-miss.
Accepts Sony E-mount lenses
Compatible with Sonys expanded line of E Mount lenses. These smaller, lighter lenses are specifically designed for compact interchangeable lens cameras. Opens up a world of creative options.
Sweep Panorama Mode
Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter, sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together.
P/A/S/M modes for video and stills
Enjoy a full range of controls for video and still shooting from the beginner's iAUTO mode to P/A/S/M: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual. On-screen prompts help you refine your skills, build your confidence and exercise greater creative control.
BIONZ image processor
The brain of the camera is a Sonys BIONZ image processor substantially upgraded for the demands of 24.3 megapixel photography. Chroma noise reduction delivers high-resolution, low-noise photos even at ISO 16000 sensitivity. Also enables fast processing for up to 10 fps continuous shooting of data-intensive 24.3 MP images, 2D/3D Sweep Panorama modes and 6-image layering.
25-point Auto Focus
25 sensors cover a very wide area of the scene, for accurate focusing even when the subject is far from the center of the frame.
Sony Exmor CMOS sensor
Sony Exmor technology uses column-parallel A/D converters for high resolution and high frame rates. Double noise reduction minimizes image noise, even in low light.
Worlds first OLED viewfinder
Theres never been anything quite like the Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder. For size, speed and brightness even after sunset, this is a gem. This eye-level, through-the-lens, viewfinder begins with 2359K dots for amazing resolution and high contrast ratio for incredible depth. OLED reduces motion blur to a bare minimum. You can also see the results of camera adjustments in real time with superb color and detail.
Full HD Movies6 at 60p/60i/24p
Capture HD Movies in your choice of super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920x1080 resolution.6 AVCHD codec delivers stunning picture quality. MP4 codec offers smaller files for easier upload to the web.
Built-in pop-up flash
Enjoy the convenience of flash photography everywhere you go. Guide Number 6.
Phase Detect AF with adaptor4
The LA-EA2 lens mount adaptor (sold separately) is the worlds first with Sonys award-winning Translucent Mirror Technology. This provides super-fast and accurate Phase Detection AF when used with Sony A mount lenses.4
Worlds shortest release time lag3
Helps ensure that the image you want is the image you get. Once auto focus occurs, release time lag is the delay between fully pressing the shutter release and when the camera actually starts taking the picture. Long lag makes it harder to capture fast-moving objects. The Sony NEX-7 boasts the shortest release time in the world (as of August 2011) at only 0.02 seconds,
3D Sweep Panorama Mode
Capture vast scenic vistas and 16:9 shots in spectacular 3D. As you sweep across the panorama, the camera records separate right-eye and left-eye images that make landscapes come alive on your 3D television7. Records both JPEG and MPO file formats.
High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography captures more scene contrast than a single exposure can handle by combining the best highlight detail from one shot and the best shadow detail from another for one incredible shot. (Recommended for still subjects.)
Unifies and simplifies Sony intelligent technologies. Takes advantage of Intelligent Scene Recognition, Face Detection technology, and Optical SteadyShot image stabilization without leaving auto mode so you always get the best shot.
Accepts non-Sony lenses via adaptor
You can use the camera with a universe of lenses from Canon, Nikon, Leica, Olympus and others. The success of Sonys NEX series, combined with the ultra-short 18 mm flange back distance has inspired third-party manufacturers to provide lens adaptors. In addition, Sony has disclosed the E Mount specification to Carl Zeiss, Cosina, Sigma and Tamron.
Stamina battery power for up to 400 shots5
Take up to 400 shots on a single charge with Sony lithium ion Stamina battery power (using LCD monitor).5 Sony's InfoLITHIUM battery system enables you to see the percent of power remaining, so you can keep shooting in confidence.
Ultrasonic anti-dust system
Dust on the image sensor leads to blemishes in the picture. To protect the sensor, Sony incorporates an advanced ultrasonic system, which effectively shakes dust off the sensor surface.
24.3 MP; best-in-class resolution3
You get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements thanks to a 24.3 megapixel sensor. Its the highest resolution among pocket cameras as of August 2011.
DSLR-class APS C image sensor
Sensor size is the key to picture quality. The APS C class sensor provides gorgeous imaging with 58% more area than Micro Four-Thirds sensors and an amazing 13 times the area of a point & shoot image sensor.
Tri-Navi manual control
Perfect for experienced shooters, Tri-Navi control gives you three separate control dials for direct, hands-on access to three settings at a time. As just one example, the dials can set aperture, exposure compensation and ISO.
Accepts A Mount lenses via adaptors4
Both the LA-EA1 and EA2 adapters (sold separately) allow you to attach the full range of Sony A mount lenses.4
Object Tracking AF
Locks onto a specified object and maintains focus even as the subject moves. Unpredictable subjects stay in focus even while zooming. You can concentrate on composition without worrying about focus.
Manual focus becomes much easier because peaking highlights the edges that are in focus in your choice of three colors (white, red, or yellow). This is especially helpful during macro or portrait photography where your focus setting can make or break your shot.
Leverages the fast BIONZ processor to capture six images in a fraction of a second, and then combine the data. The result is an incredible single image that controls blur in Anti-Motion Blur mode or gets cleaner, sharper nighttime pictures in Hand-held Twilight mode.
Intelligent Auto Focus
Pre-focuses as you compose the shot, further reducing focusing time to a bare minimum.8
Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO)
Improves results with backlit subjects and recovers details hidden in shadows. Settings include Auto, Level with a choice of five operating levels and Off.
Enjoy HD movies and stunning still images on a compatible HDTV.9 The camera includes an HDMI output.
11 Picture Effect modes
Discover innovative ways to make your images and videos pop. These include Posterization, Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color, Soft High-key, High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, and Miniature.
- Exposure System
- Picture Effect(s) : 11 types (15 variations): Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R,G,B,Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature
- Auto Exposure Lock : Yes (AE Lock with focus lock)
- Color Temperature : 2500 - 9900 k with 15-step each Magenta/Green compensation (G7 to M7), Amber/Blue (A7 to B7)
- Creative Style : Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait , Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn leaves, Black & White, Sepia (Contrast (-3 to +3steps), Saturation(-3 to +3steps), Sharpness(-3 to +3steps))
- D-Range Optimizer : Yes: (Auto, Level, Off)
- Exposure Bracketing : Yes: (3 Continuous)
- Exposure Compensation : +/-5.0 EV(1/3EV steps)
- Exposure Settings : iAUTO, Program AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter priority (S), Manual (M), Sweep Panorama (2D), 3D Sweep Panorama, Anti Motion Blur, Scene Selection
- ISO : Auto (ISO 100-16000), Selectable (ISO 100 to 1600)
- Metering : Advanced 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Modes : Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Metering Sensitivity : 0EV-20EV, (at ISO 100 equivalent w/ f/2.8 lens)
- Noise Reduction : Long Exposure NR: (On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 second) High ISO NR: (High/Normal/Low)
- Scene Mode(s) : Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports action, Sunset, Night portrait, Night View, Handheld Twilight
- White Balance Mode : Auto,Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Flash, Setting the color temperature, Color Filter, Custom
- Battery Type : InfoLITHIUM NP-FW50 (7.2V)
- Number of Still Images : Approx. 430 images (CIPA standard)
- Service and Warranty Information
- Limited Warranty Term : 1 Year Parts & Labor
- Flash Compensation : 3.0 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
- Flash Coverage : FOV coverage up to 18 mm (in the focal length)
- Flash Metering System : Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Modes : Auto, Fill-flash, Slow Sync., Rear Sync., Hi-speed sync., Wireless (with external flash), Off
- Flash Type : Built-in, Pop-up Auto
- Guide Number : 6 (in meters at ISO100)
- Recycling Time : Approx. 4 sec.
- Supplied Software : PMB (Picture Motion Browser) v5.2; Image Data Converter SR v3.2; Image Data Lightbox SR v2.2
- Operating System Compatibility : Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1; Mac OS X (v10.3-?10.6), PMB is not compatible with Mac OS. Camera (via USB), Image Data Converter, and Image Data Lightbox software are compatible with Mac OS.
- Drive System
- Continuous Shooting Speed : Continuous (Variable) Speed Priority (up to 10fps)
- Drive Mode : Single-shot, Continuous, Speed Priority, Self-timer, Continuous Self-timer, Bracketing
- Self-timer : 2-sec. or 10-sec. delay, (single, continuous 3 or 5 frames)
- Shutter Speeds : 1/4000 to 30 seconds, bulb
- Shutter Type : Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane shutter
- Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.) : Approx. 4-3/4 _ 2-3/4 _ 1-11/16" (119.9 x 66.9 x 42.8mm) (W/H/D) excluding protrusions
- Weight (Approx.) : Approx. 10.3 oz (291g) (excl battery & media)
- Lens Compatibility : Sony E-mount lens, (Sony A-mount lenses when used with LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 lens adaptor)
- Camera Type : Sony E-mount interchangeable lens digital camera
- Imaging Sensor
- Imaging Sensor : Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor (23.5 X 15.6mm)
- Processor : BIONZ image processor
- Anti Dust : Charge protection coating on Low-Pass Filter and electromagnetic vibration mechanism
- Pixel Gross : Approx. 24.7 megapixels
- Effective Picture Resolution : Approx. 24.3 megapixels
- Focal Length Conversion Factor : 1.5x
- Color Filter System : RGB primary color filters
- Media Type : Memory Stick PRO Duo/Pro-HG Duo/PRO-HG HX Duo media SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- Color Space : sRGB, AdobeRGB
- Still Image Mode : JPEG (Standard, Fine), RAW, RAW+JPEG
- Still Image Size 16:9 : L size: 6000 x 3376 (20M)M size: 4240 x 2400 (10M)S size: 3008 x1688 (5.1M)
- Still Image Size 3:2 : L size: 6000 x 4000 (24M)M size: 4240 x 2832 (12M)S size: 3008 x 2000 (6M)
- Panorama Still Image Size : Horizontal Wide: 12,416 x 1,856 (23M)Horizontal Std.: 8,192 x 1,856 (15M)Vertical Wide: 2,160 x 5,536 (12M)Vertical Std.: 2,160 x 3,872 (8.4M)3D Sweep Panorama:Horizontal Wide: 7152 X 1080 (7.7M)Horizontal Std.: 4912 X 1080 (5.3M)16:9: 1920 X 1080 (2.1M)
- Video Format : AVCHD / MP4 (MPEG-4 AVC (H.264))
- Video Mode : AVCHD: PS - 1920 x 1080/60p@28MbpsFX - 1920 x 1080/60i@24MbpsFH - 1920 x 1080/60i@17MbpsFX - 1920 x 1080/24p@24MbpsFH - 1920 x 1080/24p@17MbpsMP4: HD - 1440 x 1080/ 30p@12MbpsVGA - 640 x 480/ 30p@3Mbps
- Video Signal : NTSC color, EIA standards
- Audio Format : Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC
- Microphone/Speaker : Built-in stereo microphone; Built-in, monaural speaker
- Still Image File Format : JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3format), 3D MPO (MPF Extended compliant)
- BRAVIA Sync : Yes, via HDMI with compatible BRAVIA HDTV
- DVDirect : Yes, via USB
- HD Output : HDMI (TypeC mini)
- Memory Card Slot : Dual compatibility slot: Memory Stick PRO Duo/Pro-HG Duo/PRO-HG HX Duo media - SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- PhotoTV HD : Yes, with BRAVIA Sync enabled HDTV and HDMI cable
- USB Port(s) : USB2.0 Hi-speed (mass-storage, MTP)
- Focus Control
- Focus System : Contrast AF
- Focus Points : 25 points
- AF Modes : Single-shot AF(AF-S), Continuous AF(AF-C) selectable, Direct Manual Focus (DMF), Manual Focus
- Focus Area : Multi Point AF (25 points), Center Weighted AF, Flexible Spot AF
- Focus Sensitivity : 0 EV to +20 EV (at ISO100 conversion with F2.8 lens)
- Manual Focus Assist : Yes MF assist(5.9x, 11.7x)
- Focus Features : Predictive Focus Control, Focus Lock
- AF Illuminator : Built-in LED, Range: approx. 18" - 9' (0.5m-3m)
- Type : 0.50" XGA OLED EVF (Electronic viewfinder) (2,359k dots)
- Diopter Adjustment : -4.0m-1 to +1.0m-1
- Field of View : Approx. 100%
- Magnification : 1.09x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1 )
- Advanced Features
- Face Detection : On/On (Regist. Faces)/Off
- Smile Shutter technology : Smile shutter (selectable from 3 steps)
- Auto High Dynamic Range : Yes, (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1-6 EV at 1.0 EV step), off)
- Sweep Panorama : Horizontal (Wide/Standard), Vertical, and 3D Panorama
- LCD Display
- LCD Type : 3.0 TFT Xtra Fine LCD (921,600 pixels) w/TruBlack technology
- Angle Adjustment : Up: Approx. 90 degrees, Down: Approx. 45 degrees
- Brightness Control : Auto, Manual (5 steps between -2 to +2), Sunny Weather
- Coverage : 100%
- Live View : Yes, (Constant AF Live View)
- Real-time image adjustment display : Yes(On/Off)
- Histogram : Yes (On/off)
- Peaking : Yes (MF only, Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off), (Color: White/Red/Yellow)
- Grid Display : Yes (On/off)
- Customization : Brightness: Auto, Manual, Sunny Weather; Display Color: Black, White, Blue, Pink
- Lens Type : E-mount 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
- Lens Mount Type : Sony E-mount
- Aperture (Max.) : f/3.5 - 5.6
- Aperture (Min.) : f/22 - 32
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) : 27mm-82.5mm
- Filter Diameter : 49mm
- Lens Construction : Metal
- Lens Groups-Elements : 9 groups, 11 elements (4 aspheric surfaces)
- Minimum Focus Distance : 9.8" (0.25m)
- AF for Movie Capture : Yes
- Angle of View : 76_ - 29_
- Aperture Blade : 7 blades (Circular aperture)
- Dimensions (Max. Diameter x Length) : 2-7/16 x 2-3/8" (62x60mm)
- Direct Manual Focus : Yes
- Exterior Finish : Metal
- Focus Ring in AF Mode : No rotation
- Internal Motor : Yes (Stepping motor)
- Lens Weight : 6.9 oz (194g)
- Maximum Magnification : 0.3x