Sony NEX-5N Mirrorless Camera with 18-55mm Lens
Sony NEX-5N Mirrorless Camera with 18-55mm Lens
Add a Spare Battery
Price as Configured
Overview / Product Description
Sony NEX-5N Mirrorless Camera with 18-55mm Lens
It's all the performance of a DSLR in about half the size and half the weight. Get a perfectly pocket-sized 16.1MP interchangeable lens camera made for capturing beautiful stills on the go at up to 10 frames per second. Record in Full HD 1080/60p or 24p video, take astonishing pictures in low-light with the large Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor or get beautiful panoramic shots in 2D or 3D. Put control at your fingertips with the highly responsive, conveniently tiltable 3.0" Live View touch screen LCD.
Bigger Sensor, Better Pictures
Get delightful details and exquisite enlargements. Thanks to the APS-C sensor size and Sony Exmor APS HD CMOS technology, you'll achieve high 16.1MP resolution with no penalty in low-light sensitivity or sensor noise.
Professional Class Shooting Speeds
Capture that game changing moment in sports or get the perfect baby photo. Shoot at up to 10 frames per second at full 16.1MP resolution with exposure and focus fixed at the first frame.
Photo Creativity Interface
The new Photo Creativity interface puts sophisticated controls within reach. Technical terms are now replaced with friendlier and more intuitive terms which allow you to easily create custom-styled digital photographs. You can also review changes in real time on the LCD and easily make adjustments.
Full HD Movie Mastery
Record Full HD 1920x1080 video in a variety of frame rates, from 60p for super smooth action to 24p for a more cinematic feel1. The NEX-5N utilizes the AVCHD codec, the industry standard for high quality HD video capture, as well as the MP4 codec that's easier to upload to the web due to its small file size.
All screen images simulated.
Expect More from a Camera
Sony has always recognized that a digital camera could take pictures in ways that film cameras never dreamed of. That's why we've created new capabilities to take your photography further than ever. These include Sweep Panoramamode in 2D and 3D, Auto HDR, Handheld Twilight and Anti Motion Blur modes.
The Creativity of Changing Lenses
The beauty of SLR photography is the ability to change lenses to match your shooting situation. Now Sony brings that beauty to a compact camera. The NEX-5N gives you a choice of dedicated E-mount lenses, plus a choice of 28 A-mount lenses via an adaptor, sold separately.
Get the interchangeable lens camera of your dreams capable of capturing astonishing 16.1MP stills or full 1920x1080 HD video in about half the size as its DSLR counterparts. It's the interchangeable lens camera that fits in your pocket. Enjoy Full HD 1080/60p or 24p movies, astounding low-light pictures, continuous shooting up to 10 fps, incredible panorama shots and a 3.0-inch tiltable Live View touch screen LCD. Use the Photo Creativity Touch interface to easily adjust images on the go or try out Sweep Panorama for incredible landscapes in 2D or 3D. Answer a call to creativity with the included E-mount 18-55mm zoom lens, ideal for capturing close-up portraits and vast landscapes.
DSLR quality in your pocket
This is the worlds smallest interchangeable lens digital still camera using a large APS-C size sensor (as of Aug 2011). The removal of the conventional mirror box and viewfinder results in a camera body that is about half the size and weight of a standard DSLR camera.
Full HD movie shooting 60p/24p
Record Full HD 1920x1080 video in a variety of frame rates from 60p for super smooth action to 24p for a more cinematic feel.1 The NEX-5N utilizes the AVCHD codec, the industry standard for high quality HD video capture, as well as the MP4 codec for easy upload to the web due to its smaller file size.
Object Tracking AF via Touch LCD
Object Tracking AF can lock onto a specified object and maintain focus even as the subject moves. This hassle-free mode allows unpredictable subjects to stay in focus even while zooming. Letting you concentrate on the scene and composition without having to worry about focus. The subject on which to lock focus is easily selected via the touch screen or the center button of the control wheel.
11 Picture Effect modes
There are 11 picture effects modes to choose from: Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow), Soft High-key, High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera (Normal, Cool, Warm, Green, Magenta), Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, and Miniature. Each is unique and each gives you a new and exciting way to make your images and videos pop.
Sweep Panorama Mode
Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter, sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together. Up to 23 MP image size. Up to 202 degrees maximum sweep angle (16mm focal length).
P/A/S/M operating modes
The NEX-5N offers a full range of controls for video and still shooting from the beginner's iAUTO mode to P/A/S/M: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual. On-screen prompts help you refine your skills, build your confidence and exercise greater creative control.
BIONZ image processor
The brain of the camera is a refined version of Sonys BIONZ image processor. Its chroma noise reduction delivers high-resolution, low-noise photos even at ISO 25600 sensitivity. Also enables fast processing for up to 10 fps continuous shooting of data-intensive 16.1 megapixel images, 2D/3D Sweep Panorama modes and 6 image layering.
Phase Detect AF for E-mount bodies w/ adapter
Both the LA-EA1 and EA2 adapters allows you to attach A-mount lenses to your E-mount camera. However, the LA-EA2 is the worlds first adapter to leverage Sonys exclusive Translucent Mirror Technology to provide super fast and accurate Phase Detection AF as well. The LA-EA2 adapter has a translucent mirror built-in between the two mounts that directs a small portion of the light to the phase detection AF sensor in the bottom of the unit.
Stamina battery power for up to 430 shots
Take up to 430 shots on a single charge8 with Sony lithium ion Stamina battery power. Sony's InfoLITHIUM battery system enables you to see the percent of power remaining, so you can keep shooting in confidence.
16.1 MP Exmor APS HD CMOS image sensor
You get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements. Thanks to the APS-C sensor size and Sony Exmor APS HD CMOS technology, the camera achieves high resolution with no penalty in low-light sensitivity or sensor noise.
Tiltable 3.0" Touch LCD
Sony's 3.0 Xtra Fine LCD monitor has 921K dots for superb resolution. The TruBlack screen includes a special resin layer to suppress internal reflections, increasing contrast compared to conventional LCDs. Sunny Weather mode boosts visibility even further in bright sunlight. Tilts down 45_ and up 80_ to frame high- and low-angle shots that would otherwise be hit-or-miss.
Optional XGA OLED viewfinder
The optional FDA-EV1S OLED Tru-Finder? offers a large, bright and wide-view of the scene. With high resolution 2.395K dot, and unprecedented speed, contrast and color accuracy, the FDA-EV1S provides an extraordinary view.
3D Sweep Panorama Mode
Capture vast scenic vistas and 16:9 shots in spectacular 3D. As you sweep across the panorama, the camera records separate right-eye and left-eye images that make landscapes come alive on your 3D television4. Records both JPEG and MPO file formats.
High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography captures more scene contrast than a single exposure can handle by combining the best highlight detail from one shot and the best shadow detail from another for one incredible shot. Until recently, you needed a computer and editing software. Sony builds HDR in. Handles severe backlighting and other high-contrast scenes. Captures in a split second. (Recommended for still subjects.)
Unifies and simplifies Sony intelligent technologies. Takes advantage of Intelligent Scene Recognition, Face Detection technology, and Optical SteadyShot image stabilization without leaving auto mode so you always get the best shot.
Accepts Sony E-mount lenses
Compatible with Sonys E-mount series of smaller, lighter lenses designed specifically for compact interchangeable lens cameras. Opens up a world of creative options.
Enjoy HD movies and stunning still images on a compatible HDTV.12 The camera includes an HDMI output.
Up to 10 fps shooting
Capture the decisive moment in sports and get the ideal baby photo. Up to 10 fps continuous shooting at full 16.1 MP resolution. Standard continuous shooting speeds vary based upon shooting conditions and memory card speeds.
Photo Creativity Touch
The Photo Creativity interface enables you to easily enjoy the creative expression through direct photographic control in an easy to use interface. Changes can be combined/removed and viewed in real time on the LCD making it a breeze to make adjustments.
Worlds shortest release time lag (0.02 sec)
In photography, shutter lag, or release time, is the delay between triggering the shutter by fully depressing the shutter button and when the photograph is actually recorded. By initiating the exposure electronically instead of with the traditional shutter mechanism, release time on the NEX-5N is reduced to just 20 milliseconds - helping you to capture the decisive moment.
Peaking AF display
The Peaking AF display makes precise manual focusing much easier by highlighting the edges that are in focus in your choice of three colors ( white, red, or yellow). This is especially helpful during macro or portrait photography where your focal plane can make or break your shot.
The camera leverages the large, APS-C image sensor and captures six images in a fraction of a second. The camera then combines the data from the 6 different images to create a single image. This method is used to control blur in Anti-Motion Blur mode or to get cleaner, sharper nighttime pictures in Hand-held Twilight mode.
Intelligent Auto Focus
Pre-focuses as you compose the shot, further reducing focusing time to a bare minimum.10
Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO)
Dynamic Range Optimizer improves results with backlit subjects and recovers details hidden in shadows. Settings include Auto, Level with a choice of five operating levels and Off.
25-point Auto Focus
25 sensors cover a very wide area of the scene, for accurate focusing even when the subject is far from the center of the frame.
- Exposure System
- Picture Effect(s) : 11 types (15 variations): Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R,G,B,Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature
- Auto Exposure Lock : Yes (AE Lock with focus lock)
- Color Temperature : 2500 - 9900 k with 15-step Magenta / Green compensation
- Creative Style : Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, B/W (Contrast (-3 to +3steps), Saturation(-3 to +3steps), Sharpness(-3 to +3steps))
- D-Range Optimizer : Yes: (Auto, Level, Off)
- Exposure Bracketing : Yes: (3 Continuous)
- Exposure Compensation : 3.0 EV (in 0.3 EV steps)
- Exposure Settings : iAUTO, Program AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter priority (S), Manual (M), Sweep Panorama (2D), 3D Sweep Panorama, Anti Motion Blur, Picture Effect, Scene Selection
- ISO : Auto (ISO 100-3200), Selectable (ISO 100 to 25600)
- Metering : Advanced 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Modes : Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Metering Sensitivity : 0EV-20EV, (at ISO 100 equivalent w/ f/2.8 lens)
- Noise Reduction : Long Exposure NR: (On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 second) High ISO NR: (High/Normal/Low)
- Scene Mode(s) : Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports action, Sunset, Night portrait, Night View, Handheld Twilight
- White Balance Mode : Auto,Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Flash, Setting the color temperature, Color Filter, Custom
- Battery Type : InfoLITHIUM NP-FW50 (7.2V)
- Number of Still Images : Approx. 430 images (CIPA standard)
- Service and Warranty Information
- Limited Warranty Term : 1 Year Parts & Labor
- Flash Compensation : +/-2EV,1/3EV steps
- Flash Coverage : FOV coverage up to 16 mm (in the focal length)
- Flash Metering System : Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Modes : Autoflash, Fill-flash, Rear sync., Slow sync., Red-eye reduction
- Flash Type : Smart accessory terminal (HVL-F7S Flash Supplied)
- Guide Number : 7 (in meters at ISO 100)
- Recycling Time : Approx. 4 sec.
- Supplied Software : PMB (Picture Motion Browser) v5.2; Image Data Converter SR v3.2; Image Data Lightbox SR v2.2
- Operating System Compatibility : Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1; Mac OS X (v10.3-?10.6), PMB is not compatible with Mac OS. Camera (via USB), Image Data Converter, and Image Data Lightbox software are compatible with Mac OS.
- Drive System
- Burst Buffer : JPEG (Fine: 10 shots, Standard: 10 shots), RAW (6 shots), RAW+JPEG (4 shots)
- Continuous Shooting Speed : Continuous (up to 3fps) Speed Priority (up to 10fps)
- Drive Mode : Single-shot, Continuous, Speed Priority, Self-timer, Continuous Self-timer, Bracketing
- Self-timer : 2-sec. or 10-sec. delay, (single, continuous 3 or 5 frames)
- Shutter Speeds : 1/4000 to 30 seconds, bulb
- Shutter Type : Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane shutter
- Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.) : Approx. 4-3/8 _ 2-3/8 _ 1-9/16" (110.8 x 58.8 x 38.2mm) (W/H/D) excluding protrusions
- Weight (Approx.) : Approx. 7.4 oz (210g) (excl battery & media) Approx. 9.5 oz (269g) (w/battery & media)
- Lens Compatibility : Sony E-mount lens, (Sony A-mount lenses when used with LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 lens adaptor)
- Lens Mount : Sony E-mount
- Camera Type : Sony E-mount interchangeable lens digital camera
- Imaging Sensor
- Imaging Sensor : Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor (23.5 X 15.6mm)
- Processor : BIONZ image processor
- Anti Dust : Charge protection coating on Low-Pass Filter and electromagnetic vibration mechanism
- Pixel Gross : Approx. 16.7 megapixels
- Effective Picture Resolution : Approx. 16.1 megapixels
- Focal Length Conversion Factor : 1.5x
- Color Filter System : RGB primary color filters
- Media Type : Memory Stick PRO Duo/Pro-HG Duo/PRO-HG HX Duo media SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- Color Space : sRGB, AdobeRGB
- Still Image Mode : JPEG (Standard, Fine), RAW, RAW+JPEG
- Still Image Size 16:9 : L (14M): 4912 X 2760 M (7.1M): 3568 X 2000 S (3.4M): 2448 X 1376
- Still Image Size 3:2 : L (16M): 4912 X 3264 M (8.4M): 3568 X 2368 S (4M): 2448 X 1624
- Panorama Still Image Size : Horizontal Wide: 12,416 x 1,856 (23M) Horizontal Std.: 8,192 x 1,856 (15M) Vertical Wide: 2,160 x 5,536 (12M) Vertical Std.: 2,160 x 3,872 (8.4M) 3D Sweep Panorama: Horizontal Wide: 7152 X 1080 (7.7M) Horizontal Std.: 4912 X 1080 (5.3M) 16:9: 1920 X 1080 (2.1M)
- Video Format : AVCHD / MP4 (MPEG-4 AVC (H.264))
- Video Mode : AVCHD: PS - 1920 x 1080/60p@28Mbps FX - 1920 x 1080/60i@24Mbps FH - 1920 x 1080/60i@17Mbps FX - 1920 x 1080/24p@24Mbps FH - 1920 x 1080/24p@17Mbps MP4: HD - 1440 x 1080/ 30p@12Mbps VGA - 640 x 480/ 30p@3Mbps
- Video Signal : NTSC color, EIA standards
- Audio Format : Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC
- Microphone/Speaker : Built-in stereo microphone; Built-in, monaural speaker
- Still Image File Format : JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3format), 3D MPO (MPF Extended compliant)
- BRAVIA Sync : Yes, via HDMI with compatible BRAVIA HDTV
- DVDirect : Yes, via USB
- HD Output : HDMI (TypeC mini)
- Memory Card Slot : Dual compatibility slot: Memory Stick PRO Duo/Pro-HG Duo/PRO-HG HX Duo media - SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- PhotoTV HD : Yes, with BRAVIA Sync enabled HDTV and HDMI cable
- USB Port(s) : USB2.0 Hi-speed (mass-storage, MTP)
- Focus Control
- Focus System : Contrast AF
- Focus Points : 25 points
- AF Modes : Single-shot AF, Continuous AF, Direct Manual Focus, Manual Focus
- Focus Area : Multi Point AF (25 points), Center Weighted AF, Flexible Spot AF
- Focus Sensitivity : 0 EV to +20 EV (at ISO100 conversion with F2.8 lens)
- Manual Focus Assist : Magnified display for precise manual focus
- Focus Features : Predictive Focus Control, Focus Lock
- AF Illuminator : Built-in, LED type
- Type : Optional OLED finder available (FDA-EV1S)
- Advanced Features
- Face Detection : On/On (Regist. Faces)/Off
- Smile Shutter technology : Smile shutter (selectable from 3 steps)
- Auto High Dynamic Range : Yes, (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1-6 EV at 1.0 EV step), off)
- Photo Creativity : Yes (via iAuto Mode)
- Shooting Tips : Yes
- Sweep Panorama : Horizontal (Wide/Standard), Vertical, and 3D Panorama
- LCD Display
- LCD Type : 3.0 TFT Xtra Fine LCD (921,600 pixels) w/TruBlack technology
- Angle Adjustment : Up: Approx. 80 degrees, Down: Approx. 45 degrees
- Brightness Control : Auto, Manual (5 steps between -2 to +2), Sunny Weather
- Coverage : 100%
- Live View : Yes, (Constant AF Live View)
- Real-time image adjustment display : Exposure Compensation, WB, Creative Style
- Histogram : Yes (On/off)
- Peaking : Yes (MF only, Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off), (Color: White/Red/Yellow)
- Grid Display : Yes (On/off)
- Customization : Brightness: Auto, Manual, Sunny Weather; Display Color: Black, White, Blue, Pink
- Touch Panel : Yes
- Lens Type : E-mount 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
- Lens Mount Type : Sony E-mount
- Aperture (Max.) : f/3.5-5.6
- Aperture (Min.) : f/22-34
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) : 27mm-82.5mm (35mm equivalent)
- Filter Diameter : 49mm
- Lens Construction : Metal
- Lens Groups-Elements : 9 groups, 11 elements (4 aspheric surfaces)
- Minimum Focus Distance : 9.8" (0.25m)
- Angle of View : 76o - 29o
- Aperture Blade : 7 blades (Circular aperture)
- Aspheric Elements : (4 aspheric surfaces)
- Dimensions (Max. Diameter x Length) : 62 x 60mm
- Exterior Finish : Metal
- Internal Motor : Yes (Stepping motor)
- Lens Weight : 6.9 oz (194g)
- Maximum Magnification : 0.3x