Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera
Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera
SKU: # ol-v104210
Add the Underwater Housing
Take the TG-6 up to 148 feet down with the PT-059 Underwater Housing.
Add a Wide Lens to the PT-059 Housing
Get tack sharp images at 81° or 120° of coverage with these Backscatter M52 Lenses.
Add a Spare Battery & Charger
Add a Memory Card
The camera does not include any memory. Make sure you have one and a backup!
Price as Configured
Articles & Videos About This Item ALL ARTICLES ALL VIDEOS
Overview / Product Description
Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera
- 12MP Hi-Speed Image Sensor
- Bright ƒ2.0 Hi-Speed Lens
- Powerful TruePic VIII Image Processor
- 4x Optical Zoom (35mm equivalent: 25mm-100mm)
- RAW Image Capture
- Waterproof to depths of 50 feet / 15m
Olympus expands rugged and underwater shooting capabilities with the new Olympus Tough TG-6, a compact digital camera with reliable Tough performance for shooting anytime and anywhere. It features a blazing fast, wide-angle ƒ2.0 lens, back-lit high-speed CMOS sensor, and powerful TruePic VIII image processor, providing the ability to capture stills and video with brilliant color and stunning detail. The Tough TG-6 is waterproof to a depth of 50 feet (15m), dustproof, shockproof to 7 feet (2.4m), crushproof to 100 kgf, freezeproof to 14ºF (-10°C), and features a dual-pane protective glass construction for superb anti-fogging performance. Its Variable Macro System goes beyond the limits of the eye with ultra-close-up shooting up to 1cm from the front of the lens. Full-featured underwater shooting modes and a new fisheye converter lens that supports circular fisheye photography are available for the Tough TG-6, along with a full lineup of other accessories for expanded shooting possibilities, making this truly the strongest field camera available.
Tough Performance for Shooting AnytimeSealing throughout the entire camera body and double-lock construction on the camera battery cover are designed to provide waterproof performance to a depth of 50 feet for underwater shooting and excellent dustproof capabilities for use in dirty and dusty locations. Its floating construction protects the inside of the camera, clearing drop tests up to seven feet, and the reinforced body withstands loads up to 100 kgf. The Tough TG-6 is also freezeproof down to 14ºF, and the nitrogen-filled, hermetically sealed dual-pane protective glass construction prevents condensation and fogging for reliable shooting even in locations with severe temperature fluctuations.
High-Quality ImagesThe Olympus Tough TG-6 is equipped with a high resolution, high-speed ƒ2.0 zoom lens and a high-speed back-lit CMOS image sensor, offering excellent high-sensitivity performance and allowing you to capture bright, richly detailed images in low-light settings, ideal for shooting fast moving subjects. Anti-reflective (AR) coating incorporated in the image sensor’s sealing glass minimizes ghosting and flares. The TruePic VIII image processor, found in the award-winning Olympus OM-D E-M1X® professional model, is featured on this model, reducing noise levels and improving resolution in low contrast areas. RAW data can be recorded and then edited in post-production using the Olympus Workspace image editing software.
Olympus TG Lens Comparison
Variable Macro SystemConquer macro photography and creatively capture intricate detail using any of the four shooting modes, opening a new world of macro shooting. This close-up shooting performance allows high-quality image capture of the microscopic world that the human eye cannot see. The closest focusing distance of 1cm is possible for close-up shots even in Program and Aperture modes for more flexible photography.
The LED Light Guide, LG-1 (sold separately) uses the LED on the front of the camera to evenly illuminate the subject while the image is being taken. The LG-1 also assists with composing the image, acting as a constant light source to illuminate the subject.
The Flash Diffuser FD-1 (sold separately) uses the in-camera flash to illuminate the subject, offering a significant increase in the amount of light. This increase in light allows for usage of lower ISO settings and faster shutter speeds, as well as an increased working distance. The FD-1 can also be utilized under water.
Microscope ModeWith Microscope Mode, users can capture high-quality, detailed images of tiny subjects that are difficult to see with the naked eye, such as the antennae and feet of insects, the veins of a leaf on a tree, snowflakes, etc. A maximum shooting magnification of 7x8 is possible when the optical zoom is set to the telephoto end and the subject is 1 cm away from the front of the lens, delivering magnified shots similar to using a microscope.
Microscope Control ModeSwitch display magnification ratios with the press of a single button similar to switching microscope objective lenses for observing and photographing subjects at 1x, 2x, and 4x. When the subject is 1 cm from the front of the lens while using this mode, the image on the rear LCD monitor can zoom in up to 44.4x.
Focus Stacking ModeFocus stacking mode captures multiple shots while automatically shifting the focus from the foreground to the background. Only the areas in focus are extracted and merged, resulting in a full pixel photo with a deep depth of focus. This is particularly effective for macro shooting when shots have a shallow depth of field and a narrow range of focus. Between 3 and 10 shots can be set on the Tough TG-6 so users can fine tune settings for different subjects and precision in their finished image.
Focus Bracketing ModeWith a single shot, this function captures up to 30 images while shifting the focus from the foreground to the background. Three levels of focal shift and the number of shots can be selected to perfectly match the subject and shooting conditions. This feature is convenient for instantly setting the focal position when shooting flower petals or the wings of insects, etc.
Dive Deep Into Underwater PhotographyTo expand the possibilities of underwater shooting ever further, the Tough TG-6 is equipped with five underwater shooting modes optimized for various situations, allowing the user to capture sharp, colorful underwater photos at all depths. The popular Underwater White Balance mode now offers three options, providing appropriate color adjustment for deep water shooting. The new Fisheye Converter FCON-T02 (sold separately), for circular fisheye photography, is now available, offering a versatile lineup of accessories to further expand shooting creativity.
Five Underwater Modes
- Underwater Wide: Optimized for shooting in dim underwater conditions and capable of shooting in deeper water.
- Underwater Snapshot: Records subjects using the natural lighting in pools and other shallow water for natural-looking photos.
- Underwater Macro: Perfect for close-up shots of small subjects such as little fish.
- Underwater Microscope: Captures even smaller subjects up to 1 cm from the front of the lens.
- Underwater HDR: Dramatically recreates the scene without losing details in dark areas.
Three Underwater White Balance Modes
- Underwater Shallow: Recommended for use in water depths up to approximately 10 feet deep to improve the red tones that tend to occur in shallow water.
- Underwater Mid-Range: Optimally tunes the color for general use in water from 10-50 feet deep.
- Underwater Deep: For use with the new Underwater Case PT-059 (sold separately) in water deeper than 50 feet, particularly for improving the blue tones in photos.
Fisheye Converter, FCON-T02The new Fisheye Converter FCON-T02 (sold separately) delivers both circular fisheye photography and diagonal fisheye photography via zooming control. It can function even underwater for zoomed-in shots. The Converter Adapter CLA-T01 (sold separately) is required to attach this lens. FCON-T02 is only compatible with the Tough TG-6.
Advanced Video FunctionsThe Olympus Tough TG-6 is equipped with Ultra HD 4K Movie, ideal for recording beautiful scenery in amazing detail. Full HD 120fps High-Speed Movie is also included to capture high-quality split-second moments with playback in stunning slow motion.
Field Sensor SystemThe Olympus Tough TG-6 is equipped with a Field Sensor System, using tracking information obtained from various sensors in the camera to record data, including the GPS, manometer, temperature sensor, and compass. Data can then be synced to photos and video and viewed in the free Olympus Image Track (OI.Track) smartphone app. Simply press the INFO button, even when the camera is off, to display data.
Pro Capture ModeNever miss a shot! Pro Capture Mode shoots sequentially at 10 frames-per-second (fps) for 0.5 seconds before the shutter button is pressed fully, making it perfect for capturing shots where timing may be difficult, such as an insect in flight or a drop of liquid splashing.
High Definition LCD monitorThe new rear LCD monitor now features a 1.04 million-pixel high-definition resolution for improved visibility. The brightness and color saturation are optimally tuned for use outdoors.
Date ImprintIt is now possible to embed the date and time of capture into still images for convenience and reference later. Users can turn this feature on and off to best fit their needs.
Lens Barrier, LB-T01The new lens barrier LB-T01 protects the lens surface from scratches and dirt. The barrier opens and closes easily for smooth operation, even while wearing gloves.
Silicone Jacket, CSCH-127This accessory protects the surface of the camera body from scratches. It also provides a solid grip on the camera when shooting during winter sports and water sports. LED Light Guide LG-1 and Flash Diffuser FD-1 can function with the silicone jacket attached to the camera.
Underwater Case, PT-059Designed exclusively for the Tough TG-6, this case can function down to a depth of 148 feet. The camera control dial is operable even when the camera is stored in the case for easy exposure compensation control underwater. Two external flash units for underwater photography (UFL-3) are compatible with multiunit flash photography in a compact system.
Lithium-Ion Battery Charger, UC-92This new, compact battery charger can fully charge the Lithium Ion Battery LI-92B using a USB port in approximately 2 hours.
Tough TG-6 Specifications
Sensor / Processor
- Sensor Type: 1/2.3" BSI CMOS SENSOR
- Effective Pixels: 12 million
- ISO Sensitivity:
- AUTO ISO: 100 ‐ 1600 with customizable upper limit from 100 to 12800
- Manual ISO: 100 - 12800 (adjustable)
- Processor: Olympus TruePic VIII
- Waterproof: IJIS/IEC protection class 8 (IPX8) - Waterproof to depths of 50 ft / 15 m
- Dustproof: JIS/IEC protection class 6 (IP6X)
- Freezeproof: Freezeproof to 14°F / -10°C
- Crushproof: Crushproof to 220 lbf / 100 kgf
- Shockproof: Shockproof from 7 ft / 2.1 m
- Lens Cover Glass: Anti-fog dual pane
Lens / Shutter
- Focal Length (35mm Equiv.): 4.5mm - 18mm (25mm - 100mm)
- Aperture Range: ƒ2.0 (wide) - ƒ4.9 (tele)
- Focus Range: Throughout entire zoom range : 0.1m - infinity (Super Macro: less than f=5.4mm, from 0.1m to 0.3m/above 5.4mm, from 0.01m to 0.3m, microscope : 0.01m - 0.3m)
- Shutter Speed: 1/2 - 1/2000 sec. (Night Scene, A mode: up to 4 sec.)
- Optical Zoom: 4x
- Image Stabilization: 2.5 EV* (Focal length set to 18mm. 35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 100mm) *Based on CIPA measurement conditions
- Live View Image Stabilization: Throughout entire zoom range : 0.1m - infinity (Super Macro: less than f=5.4mm, from 0.1m to 0.3m/above 5.4mm, from 0.01m to 0.3m, microscope : 0.01m - 0.3m)
- AF System Type: CMOS Contrast Detection System
- Focusing Points: 25
- AF Focus Modes: Single AF (S-AF) / AF Tracking / Manual Focus (MF)
- AF Illuminator: Yes
- Face Detection: Yes
- Manual Focus Assist: Focus knob rotation activates Live View image magnification and/or focus peaking when in S-AF+MF or MF mode
- Peaking Function: Yes; Color selection: white, black, red, yellow
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Flash Modes: Auto, Red Eye Reduction, Slow sync. (1st curtain), Red-eye Slow sync. (1st curtain), Fill-in, Manual (1/1 (FULL)～1/64), Flash Off
- Flash Intensity Control Method: TTL Auto, Manual
- Flash Intensity Control: Up to ±2 EV in 1/3 EV steps selectable
Wireless Flash Control
- Compatible External Flash: FL-50R, FL-36R, FL-300R, FL-600R, FL-900R, FL-700WR
- Control Method:
- Triggered and controlled by Olympus Wireless RC Flash system
- Commander Flash: Built-in flash
- Channel: 1 channel
- Group No.: 1 group
Rear LCD Monitor
- Monitor Type: Color LCD
- Monitor Size: 3.0" (Aspect Ratio 3:2)
- Monitor Resolution: 1,040k-dots
- Touchscreen: No
- Monitor Brightness Adjustment: ±7 levels
- Live View: Approx. 100% field of view, exposure compensation preview, WB adjustment preview, gradation preview, face detection preview (up to 8 faces), grid line. Display modes: Standard, Histogram, Highlight & Shadow, Level Gauge, Off.
- Removable Memory Type: SD, SDHC*1, SDXC*1 [*１ UHS-I compatible]
- Recording Format: DCF2.0, Exif2.3
- Still Image File Format: RAW (12-bit lossless compression), JPEG, RAW+JPEG
- Recording Image Size:
- [RAW] 4000 x 3000
- [JPEG] 4000 x 3000 - 640 x 480
- One Touch Tele-converter: x2 (P, A, Movie mode), x2/x4 (Microscope mode)
- Date / Time Stamp: Available
- Exposure / Shooting Modes: Intelligent Auto (iAUTO), Program Auto (P), Aperture Priority (A), Movie (Standard, 4K, High-speed), Custom1, Custom2, Underwater (Underwater snap, Underwater wide, Underwater macro, Underwater microscope, Underwater HDR), Microscope (Microscope, Focus stacking, Focus bracket, Microscope control), Scene Mode (SCN)
- Sequential Shooting:
- [Sequential shooting H]*: approx. 20 fps with selectable 10/20 fps
- [Sequential shooting L]: approx. 5 fps
- [Pro Capture]*: approx. 10 fps *Electronic Shutter
- Sequential Shooting Maximum Recordable Frames:
- [Sequential shooting H] RAW: Max. 14 frames, JPEG (LN): Until card is full
- [Sequential shooting L] RAW: Max. 40 frames, JPEG (LN): Until card is full
- Maximum Recordable Frames Prior to Full Shutter Press (Pro Capture Mode): Max. 5 Frames
- White Balance Mode: Auto WB, 6 Preset WBs, 3 Underwater WBs, 4 Capture WBs, Custom WB(Kelvin setting)
- White Balance Compensation: ±7 steps along A-B / G-M axis * Except for Custom WB
- Picture Modes: i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monotone, Custom, e Portrait, Art Filters
- Gradation: Auto, Normal, High Key, Low Key [except when using i-Enhance, Underwater, Art Filters, Color Creator]
- Scene Modes: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Portrait +Landscape, Hand-held Starlight*, Nightscape, Portrait + Nightscape, Children, Sport, Candlelight, Sunset, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Panorama, Live Composite, Backlight HDR *6 images are automatically captured and combined into a single image composite
- Art Filters:
- Pop Art (I, II / a.b.c.d.e.f.)
- Soft Focus ( - / c.e.)
- Pale & Light Color (I, II / a.b.c.d.f.)
- Light Tone ( - / d.f.)
- Grainy Film (I, II / b.c.d.g.h)
- Pin Hole (I, II, III / d.)
- Diorama ( I,II / d.)
- Cross Process (I, II / b.c.d.f.)
- Gentle Sepia ( - / a.b.c.d.f.)
- Dramatic Tone (I / b.c.d.e.f.) (II / b.c.d.e.f.g.h)
- Key Line (I, II / a.b.c.d.e.)
- Watercolor (I, II / a.b.c.d.)
- Vintage (I, II, III / a.b.c.d.e.f.i)
- Partial Color (I, II, III / a.b.c.d.e.f)
- Bleach Bypass (I, II / a, b, c, d, e, f, i)
- Instant Film (- / a, b, c, d, e, f, i)
- Detail of Art Effect:
- a. Soft Focus Effect
- b. Pin-Hole Effect
- c. White Edge Effect
- d. Frame Effect
- e. Star Light Effect
- f. Blur Effect (Top & bottom, Left & Right)
- g. B&W Effect (None, Yellow, Orange, Red, Green)
- h. Pict. Tone (None, Sepia, Blue, Purple, Green)
- i. Shade Effect (Top & bottom, Left & Right)
- Color Ring for Partial Color: 18 Selectable Colors
- Live Composite:
- Update interval time / composite method
- .5sec - 4.0 sec / Lighten Mode (Bright area prioritization)
- Interval Mode: Interval Time 1 sec. - 24 hours, max 299 frames. Available when automatically creating. Time-lapse video.
- Exposure Compensation: ±2 adjustable by 1/3 EV steps
- Focus Bracketing:
- Number of images 10 / 20 / 30
- Focus step : Wide / Standard / Narrow
- Focus Stacking: Available [Angle of view becomes slightly smaller]
Video / Audio
- Video File Format: MOV (MPEG-4AVC / H.264)
- Video Modes:
- 3840x2160 (4k) / 30p, 25p (Bit rate: Approx. 102 Mbps)
- 1920x1080 (FHD) / 30p, 25p / IPB (SF,F,N)
- 1920x1080 (FHD) / 60p, 50p / IPB (SF,F,N)
- 1280x720 (HD) / 30p,25p / IPB (SF,F,N)
- 60p: 59.94fps, 50p: 50.00fps, 30p: 29.97fps, 25p: 25.00fps
- FHD IPB (SuperFine / 52Mbps, Fine / 30Mbps, Normal / 18Mbps)
- HD IPB (SuperFine / 52Mbps, Fine / 30Mbps, Normal / 18Mbps)
- *Frame rates may drop when particular Art Filters and Movie Effects are used.
- *Speed Class 10 SD card is recommended for shooting movies.
- *UHS-I Speed Class 3 SD card must be used for 4K video and high speed movie.
- Maximum Video Recording Time: [MOV] Approx. 29 min
- Art Filter for Movie: Yes (Frame rates may drop when certain Art Filters are used)
- Time Lapse Movie:
- 3840×2160 (4K) / 5fps
- 1920×1080 (FHD) / 5fps, 10fps, 15fps
- 1280×720 (HD) / 5fps, 10fps, 15fps, 30fps
- High Speed Movie:
- 1920x1080 (FHD) / 120fps, recording time 20 sec.
- 1280x720 (HD) / 240fps 20 sec., recording time 20 sec.
- 640x360 (SD) / 480fps 20 sec., recording time 20 sec.
- Image Stabilization for Video: Digital stabilization (angle of view becomes slightly smaller)
- Audio Recording: Wave Format (Stereo linear PCM/16-bit, Sampling frequency 48kHz)
- Microphone: Built-in stereo microphone
- Speaker: Built-in mono speaker
- Live View Output via HDMI : Monitor Mode (outputs video and info display to a connected monitor) [Info display is not shown on the camera while recording]
Connectivity / Power Requirements
- Wi-Fi: Built-in (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n)
- Action Track Sensors: GPS (GLONASS, QZSS), compass, manometer, temperature sensor, accelerometer
- PC Connectivity: USB 2.0 (Micro-B)
- HDMI: Micro HDMI (Type D)
- Print Function: Print reservation (DPOF)
- Battery Type: LI-92B Li-ion battery
- AC Adapter: F-5AC
- Sleep Mode: Available (1 / 3 / 5 min. off)
- Battery Life:
- Approx. 340 Images (using Toshiba SDHC UHS-I Card Exceria with IS ON, based on CIPA test standards)
- Approx. 50 minutes* (under standard JEITA testing)
- Approx. 110 minutes (when zoom and other operational functions are not used)
- *When repeatedly recording at the maximum time of 29 minutes
- Self Timer: Operation time: 12 sec., 2 sec., custom (wait time: 1-30sec., number of shots: 1-10, shot interval: 0.5 / 1 / 2 / 3sec.)
- Languages: 34 selectable languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Russian, Czech, Dutch, Danish, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Croatian, Slovenian, Hungarian, Greek, Slovakian, Turkish, Latvian, Estonian, Lithuanian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Rumanian, Indonesian, Malay, Thai
Weights / Dimensions / Bundled Items
- W: 113 mm H: 66 mm D: 32.4 mm (based on CIPA standards, excludes protrusions)
- W: 4.43 in H: 2.6 in D: 1.23 in
- Approx. 253 g (with battery and memory card, based on CIPA standards)
- (0.56 lb / 8.92 oz)
- Bundled Items: Body, USB cable, Hand Strap, Instruction Manual, Warranty Card, LI-92B Li-ion Battery, F-5AC Li-ion Battery Charger