Canon PowerShot S100 Compact Camera
Canon PowerShot S100 Compact Camera
The PowerShot S100 is a sophisticated pocket-friendly point-and-shoot digital camera that has the power advanced users and enthusiasts need to create standout images. As with other PowerShot cameras, the compact PowerShot S100 incorporates all of the advanced Canon technologies that make capturing superb photos and video as easy as pressing a button. Yet, when it's time to get creative, the very same camera in the hands of a skilled photographer can produce stunning images that would be at home in a gallery.
This product has been discontinued. Please scroll down for accessories and other options.
This product has been discontinued. Please scroll down for accessories and other options.
Add a housing
Overview / Product Description
The PowerShot S100 is a sophisticated pocket-friendly point-and-shoot digital camera that has the power advanced users and enthusiasts need to create standout images. As with other PowerShot cameras, the compact PowerShot S100 incorporates all of the advanced Canon technologies that make capturing superb photos and video as easy as pressing a button. Yet, when it's time to get creative, the very same camera in the hands of a skilled photographer can produce stunning images that would be at home in a gallery. As automatic or manual as you need it to be, the PowerShot S100 is, at once, a pocket camera and a serious photographic tool, impressing even demanding pros. It incorporates the Canon HS SYSTEM, now featuring the new DIGIC 5 Image Processor for enhanced image quality and amazing low-light performance. The fast f/2.0 lens helps you tackle unfavorable lighting and capture breathtaking portraits with beautiful, shallow depth-of-field. 12.1 Megapixels ensure crisp, richly detailed images, and a 5x Optical Zoom provides an excellent all-around range to shoot near or far.
Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor
The latest-generation Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor brings phenomenal increases in processing speed and power. Improved chip architecture and algorithms deliver greatly expanded functionality with further refinement in image quality. Improved noise reduction produces clearer images when shooting in low light at high ISO speeds. Enhanced i-Contrast performance adjusts differences between light and dark areas to achieve even more natural-looking results. The faster processing speed also results in faster continuous shooting capability while maintaining full image quality. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor also makes possible a new, highly advanced automatic white balance system. Whereas conventional white balance makes an overall adjustment based on a single type of light source, the new Canon Multi-Area White Balance analyzes several areas of the image to determine whether different adjustments are needed, for example, for the main subject and the background.
Canon CMOS Sensor
The PowerShot S100 digital camera employs a new Canon 12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor. Inheriting much of the advanced technology developed for Canon EOS DSLR cameras, this sensor delivers state-of-the-art imaging performance and is optimized for use in compact cameras, such as the PowerShot S100. Utilizing a sophisticated light-capturing design, it provides high sensitivity for improved high ISO capture without increased noise. It is also a high-speed design, capable of rapidly capturing and moving image data to the processor, enabling faster continuous shooting and faster autofocus.
Canon HS SYSTEM
The Canon HS SYSTEM lets you take bright, clear photos in an even wider range of shooting situations. Beautiful low-light shots are possible with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlight and shadow areas. The system is the result of two technologies brought together in PowerShot cameras: a high-sensitivity imaging sensor, which is able to capture more light; and the DIGIC Image Processor, which actively reduces noise with high-speed image processing. The 12.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor in the PowerShot S100 incorporates advanced light reception technology that enhances sensitivity. The new DIGIC 5 Image Processor provides a major boost in noise reduction, expanding the usable ISO range to an amazing high of ISO 6400. The Canon HS SYSTEM thus lets you use higher shutter speeds to capture clearer images with reduced noise and blur.
Canon Full HD Video Advantage
In addition to the Canon HS SYSTEM, the combination of the advanced CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5 Image Processor in the PowerShot S100 makes it possible to shoot crisp, clear high definition video. Imagine the fun and excitement of being able to shoot spectacular 1080p Full HD video with stereo sound that you can later watch on your HDTV or download to your computer to share with family and friends. In addition to being able to shoot Full HD 1080p video at 24* frames per second, the PowerShot S100 can also shoot 720p HD video at 30** frames per second.
Dedicated Movie Button, Wind filter feature and Optical Zoom for easy video capture It's never been easier to shoot videos with a PowerShot digital camera. The PowerShot S100 has a dedicated movie button that lets you start and stop recording instantly. There is no need to go through layers of menus or operate switches or dials to switch to and from video recording mode. The camera is always ready to shoot stills or video whenever you want. The PowerShot S100 also incorporates an electronic wind filter, which suppresses wind noise that can muffle or distort the sound. And unlike less sophisticated point-and-shoot cameras, the PowerShot S100 lets you use the full range of optical zoom when you're shooting a video.
HDTV Playback via HDMI with CEC Support
It's easy to enjoy and share the videos you shoot with the PowerShot S100. Simply connect its HDMI terminal to your HDTV using an HDMI cable. And because the PowerShot S100 supports HDMI-CEC technology, you'll be able to control the playback of your images and videos on any CEC-enabled HDTV using the TV's remote control. (CEC - Consumer Electronic Control - is part of the HDMI specification, enabling components in a system to communicate with one another.)
iFrame Movie Support
With the PowerShot S100, you can also shoot video in the Apple iFrame format, which is a computer-friendly standard that speeds up importing and editing of videos. It keeps file sizes small, making it more convenient to upload or e-mail high-quality videos. The iFrame format enjoys native support in compatible Mac and Windows video applications, making it unnecessary to perform time-consuming and often quality-degrading conversions.
5x Optical Zoom and 24mm Wide-Angle Lens
The PowerShot S100 features a 5x Optical Zoom that will appeal to enthusiasts and casual shooters alike. The zoom range starts at 24mm (35mm equivalent) at full wide-angle, providing the coverage needed to capture indoor group photos, tall buildings, and dramatic landscapes. Full telephoto is 120mm (35mm equivalent), providing a versatile range that includes focal lengths perfect for portraits and close-ups.
Bright f/2.0 Lens
A fast f/2.0 maximum lens aperture enhances the camera's ability to capture excellent images in low light, but it also does more. You can shoot professional-looking portraits by taking advantage of shallow depth-of-field to impart a pleasing blur to the background. The large aperture also lets you capture more nuances in dimly lit scenes by making better use of the available light.
The latest advance in Canon Optical Image Stabilization technology, Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system automatically selects among Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid) and Tripod IS modes. When shooting video, the system automatically selects among Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make the most effective IS settings to assure the steadiest possible image.
High-Speed Burst HQ
Utilizing the increased processing speed and power of the new Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor, High-Speed Burst HQ makes it possible to capture fast action stills at full resolution during continuous shooting. The results are exceptionally high-quality images recorded in rapid sequence. In this mode, the PowerShot S100 can capture a maximum of 8 shots in a single burst.*
Creating a video* containing highlights of a family vacation or an important occasion is a lot easier than you might think. When you use Movie Digest on the PowerShot S100, the camera will automatically record a short video clip (up to approximately 4 seconds) every time you shoot a still image. That entire day's worth of clips will then be automatically combined into a single video. Movie Digest does all the work, so you can sit back and enjoy your video!
How does this work? When you activate Movie Digest, the camera continuously records a "loop" of video up to 4 seconds long into an area of the memory card reserved for this feature. Every time you take a still photo, the video clip residing in memory at that time is appended to a file that will eventually become the day's highlights video. The following day, the camera will start a new video file. Movie Digest does not affect regular video shooting, so you can use it and still switch between still and video capture as desired.
Although the beauty of Movie Digest is the ease with which you can create a video of the day, you can, if you wish, edit the created videos on your computer. Version 6.8 or later of the included ZoomBrowser EX (for Windows) and ImageBrowser (for Mac OS) software lets you freely select and delete unwanted scenes from your Movie Digest videos.
High Dynamic Range
In High Dynamic Range, the camera will shoot three different exposures in succession and then merge them together to produce a spectacular image with highly detailed shadow and highlight areas.
Miniature Effect for Movies
Emphasizes perspective for a miniature effect by blurring upper and bottom portions of videos and stills.
Super Slow Motion Movie
Record your clips in high speed (approx. 240 fps), and then watch your videos in slow motion.
Full Range of Shooting and Recording Modes Including RAW + JPEG
The PowerShot S100 lets you shoot in RAW mode, which captures images that are uncompressed and essentially unprocessed by the camera. Often the choice of advanced photographers, RAW images can be processed in your computer using Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) or other compatible third-party software. Creative control is completely in your hands as you adjust a wide range of variables to produce exactly the final image you want. The camera can also be set to allow the simultaneous recording of both RAW and JPEG images while shooting.
Focus, Exposure, ISO, Step Zoom, or White Balance can now be adjusted more quickly and conveniently with the PowerShot S100's control ring. Located at the base of the lens barrel, the ring is more intuitive than other types of controls for many experienced photographers. The functions that can be assigned to the control ring vary with shooting mode, and you can set your preferences quickly using the dedicated ring function selector button.
The PowerShot S100 digital camera is equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS)* technology. Now you can travel the world and let the camera automatically record the locations and local times of your stills and videos. The camera can also use the GPS unit to automatically set the exact time. You can maximize the usefulness of the GPS feature by using the special bundled Map Utility software that makes it fun to share the memories of your world adventures. In addition to displaying all your photos' locations on a world map, the camera's GPS system can also track your route from photo to photo - a great way to visualize each trip! You can also create and share custom maps and personal mini-travel guides with friends and family members.
As a signal is received from GPS satellites, take sufficient measures when using in locations where the use of electronics is regulated.
This software uses Google Maps for displaying maps.
PureColor System LCD
The PowerShot S100 digital camera's large and bright 3.0-inch PureColor LCD screen makes it easy to view and frame your shots in high resolution (461,000 dots). PureColor technology delivers excellent contrast with rich, true-to-life color. Moreover, you can view the LCD screen over a surprisingly wide angle ? above, below or to either side ? without color shifts and with minimal reflections. A scratch-proof hard coating and a dust-repellent fluorine coating ensure a durable screen that dependably displays clear, vibrant images.
Face Detection Technology & Smart Shutter
Face Detection technology makes it easy for you to take great photos of people. The camera will automatically detect the face(s) in a frame to give it optimal focus, exposure, flash (if needed) and white balance. Smart Shutter adds fun and convenience to Face Detection because you can set the camera to release the shutter when someone winks, smiles or even enters the frame.
Special Scene Modes
Special Scene Modes have fun and creative filters you can add to your photos without having to use a computer. You can make a quirky portrait using a Fisheye Lens Effect or add a beautiful single-tone effect with Monochrome. Toy Camera Effect simulates a vintage look as if capturing the photo using a "toy" or pinhole camera.
Best Image Selection
Best Image Selection* is an easy way to get great results almost every time you take a picture. When you press the shutter release, the camera will rapidly shoot a series of five images, then assess the images for any unwanted facial movements and camera shake. Out of the five images, the camera will select and save the best one.
Available in 27 Languages
With the new addition of Hindi, there are a total of 27 display languages from which you can choose: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi and Hindi.
- Compact digital camera with built-in flash, 5x Optical/4x Digital (not w/ RAW or Widescreen)/20x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer System
- Image Capture Device
- Type: 12.1 Megapixels, 1/1.7-inch CMOS sensor
- Total Pixels: Approx. 13.3 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 12.1 Megapixels
- Focal Length: 5.2 (W) - 26.0 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24-120mm)
- Focusing Range: Auto & Manual Focus: 1.2 in (3 cm) - infinity (W), 12 in (30 cm) - infinity (T)
- Normal AF: 2.0 in. (5 cm) - infinity (W), 12 in. (30 cm) - infinity (T)
- Macro: 1.2 in. (3 cm) - 1.6 ft. (50 cm) (W), 12 in. (30 cm) - 1.6 ft. (50 cm) (T)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus, Manual
- Viewfinders: Optical Viewfinder
- LCD Monitor: 3.0-inch TFT Color with wide viewing angle
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 461,000 dots
- LCD Coverage: 100%
- Aperture and Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.0 (W) - f/5.9 (T)
- Shutter Speed: 1-1/2000 sec.
- 15-1/2000 sec. (Total Shutter speed range)
- Exposure Control
- Sensitivity: Auto, ISO 80/100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/ 2500/3200/4000/5000/6400 (in P Mode)
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative, Center-weighted average, Spot
- Exposure Control Method: Program AE, i-Contrast, Manual; AE Lock, Program Shift, Safety Shift, Auto ISO Shift
- Exposure Compensation: +/-3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- White Balance:
- White Balance Control: Auto, Day Light, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Underwater, Custom
- Built-in Flash: Auto, Auto w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash On, Flash On w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash Off; FE lock, Safety FE, Slow Synchro
- Flash Range: 1.6 - 23 ft. (W), 1.6 - 7.5 ft. (T) (50 cm - 7.0 m (W), 50 cm - 2.3 m (T))
- Recycling Time: 10 seconds or less (battery voltage: 3.7 V)
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Shooting Specifications:
- Shooting Modes: C, M, Av, Tv, P, Auto*1, SCN*2, Creative Filters *3, Movie*4
- Shooting videos are possible with the movie button
- *1 Smart AUTO, also available for videos
- *2 Movie Digest, Portrait, Landscape, Kids & Pets, Smart Shutter*5, High-Speed Burst HQ, Handheld Night Scene, Beach, Underwater, Foliage, Snow, Fireworks, Stitch Assist
- *3 High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap
- *4 Standard, iFrame Movie, Super Slow Motion Movie
- *5 Smile, Wink Self-timer, Face Self-timer
- Photo Effects
- My Colors: My Colors Off, Vivid, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Custom
- Self Timer: Approx. 10-sec. delay, approx. 2-sec. delay, custom
- Wireless Control: Not available
- Continuous Shooting:
- Approx. 2.3 shots/sec. (in P mode)
- Approx. 9.6 shots/sec. (in High-Speed Burst HQ)
- Image Storage
- Storage Media: SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards and Eye-Fi
- File Format: Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF (Version 1.1) compliant
- Image Recording Format:
- Normal, Fine
- JPEG Compression Mode: Still Image: Exif 2.3 (JPEG)
- RAW (CR2 (Canon Original))
- Video: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Stereo))
- Number of Recording Pixels
- Large: 4000 x 2248
- Medium 1: 2816 x 1584
- Medium 2: 1920 x 1080
- Small: 640 x 360
- Large: 4000 x 2664
- Medium 1: 2816 x 1880
- Medium 2: 1600 x 1064
- Small: 640 x 424
- Large: 4000 x 3000
- Medium 1: 2816 x 2112
- Medium 2: 1600 x 1200
- Small: 640 x 480
- RAW: 4000 x 3000
- Large: 2992 x 2992
- Medium 1: 2112 x 2112
- Medium 2: 1200 x 1200
- Small: 480 x 480
- Large: 2400 x 3000
- Medium 1: 1696 x 2112
- Medium 2: 960 x 1200
- Small: 384 x 480
- Playback Specifications
- Playback Modes File: Still Image: Single, Magnification (approx. 2x-10x), Jump, Auto Rotate, Rotate, Resume, My Category, Transition Effects, Histogram, Index (4-100 thumbnails*), Over Exposure Warning, Slide Show, Red-eye Correction, Trimming, Resize, Image Inspection Tool, i-Contrast;
- Movie: Normal Playback, Special Playback, Editing, Auto Rotate, Resume
- Erase Modes: Still Image: single image, all images
- Movie: part of movie, all of movie
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Out :Stereo
- Other: Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable
- Power Source
- 1. Rechargeable Battery Pack NB-5L
- 2. Compact Power Adapter CA-DC10 (included with AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC30)
- Shooting Capacity:Still Image: approx. 200 shots*
- Playback Time: Approx. 4 hours
- Physical Specifications
- Operating Temperature: 32-104_F/0-40_C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90%
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 3.90 x 2.34 x 1.05 in / 98.9 x 59.8 x 26.7 mm
- Approx. 6.98 oz. (198 g) (including the batteries and memory card)
- Approx. 6.10 oz. (173 g) (camera body only)