Ikelite Underwater Housing for Sony Alpha a6500 Mirrorless Camera
The a6500 feels great in your hand with a simple and ergonomic control set. Ikelite extend this underwater, providing larger controls and push buttons which are easy to access even with thick gloves. Whenever possible, controls are located in the same configuration as on the camera to replicate the muscle memory and familiarity you've developed with your camera on the surface. Control symbols laser engraved into the back of the housing will never peel off or fade even with years of use. The camera's large, super-bright LCD screen is viewable edge-to-edge through the back of the housing.
FREE Standard Shipping to USA / CANADA!
Base Price $
Price as Configured $
Overview / Product Description
Superb handlingThe a6500 feels great in your hand with a simple and ergonomic control set. Ikelite extend this underwater, providing larger controls and push buttons which are easy to access even with thick gloves. Whenever possible, controls are located in the same configuration as on the camera to replicate the muscle memory and familiarity you've developed with your camera on the surface. Control symbols laser engraved into the back of the housing will never peel off or fade even with years of use. The camera's large, super-bright LCD screen is viewable edge-to-edge through the back of the housing.
The front-loading camera mounting system makes installation and removal a breeze. The camera mounting plate allows ready access to the battery and memory card, and features a standard 1/4-20 mounting point for attachment to a tripod topside.
True TTL exposureLight is absorbed as it travels through even short distances underwater, making colors appear dull or monochromatic. To preserve the natural colors of your subject, it's important to stay within arm's reach—no more than 3-4 feet (1m) away.
An integrated TTL circuit is fine-tuned to the Sony Alpha a6500 flash exposure protocol for the most accurate exposure possible. The circuit is powered by the strobe for zero maintenance and no batteries to change. Exposure compensation in TTL mode is supported using the camera's built-in control. At this time, only Ikelite DS strobes are capable of powering the circuitry. SEA & SEA, INON, and Nikonos strobes will still enjoy fast recycle times and improved battery life, but must be used in manual exposure modes only.
This housing provides a direct electrical connection to the camera's external flash hot shoe. Cord attachment is as easy as screwing in a lightbulb, and the threaded fit prevents accidental detachment during use. The bulkhead connection has been moved to the top of the housing to keep cords out of your way and reduce strain on the cord ends. A variety of sync cord terminations are available for Ikelite, SEA & SEA, INON, or Nikonos strobes for ultimate versatility.
The camera's built-in flash is suitable for firing an external strobe, but not for lighting a photo underwater. Two fiber optic ports are built into the front of the housing provide an attachment point for fiber optic cords from most major manufacturers. Use of a fiber optic connector requires the camera's built-in flash to fire, reducing battery life and bypassing the TTL functionality of the housing.
A bright constant-on video light can be used instead of or in addition to a flash. A constant-on light is not as bright as a strobe flash. Constant-on lights do provide added versatility because they can be used for focus assist and for improved colors when shooting video.
Two 1/4-20 threaded mounting points are included on the bottom of the housing for the attachment of a tray and handle system. Handles provide improved ergonomics underwater and are the foundation for your lighting mounts.
There is a simple rule that brighter is better underwater. A high-quality lighting system can produce magazine quality results with almost any compact camera system.
The Lens Support You WantIt couldn't be more simple to change ports than this system—just press the port on and tighten three thumb screws. Feel positive reinforcement that the port is secure with simple parts you can trust in a remote location.
This housing accepts a variety of ports from Ikelite'sDLM Port System to accommodate all of the most popular zoom, macro, and wide angle lenses. Ikelite'scustom optical grade acrylic domes components provide the color, clarity, and durability of glass at a fraction of the travel weight and cost.
Lens port sold separately.
Durability and corrosion free performanceIkelite'sbrand new ABS-PC blend provides strength and corrosion free performance year with minimal maintenance. The specially formulated color deflects the sun to keep your camera running cooler, longer. Compared to black or clear housings, the light gray color provides superior contrast for enhanced view of the camera, LCD screen, and o-ring seal.
The unique rear seal design prevents accidental twisting or stretching of the o-ring for simple and confident assembly. Ikelite have eliminated the need for an o-ring groove or channel which can trap sand, dirt, or debris. Two double-passivated stainless steel locking lid snaps are simple to use and virtually unbreakable. The clear back allows you to see the o-ring form a solid, watertight seal as it closes.
A spare 1/2-20 threaded accessory port is provided on the side of the housing for easily installation of the optional Vacuum Kit Product Number 47012.
Ikelite products are designed, built and tested in the USA. Ikelite uses locally sourced, top-grade materials. Ikelite'shousings are built by hand and individually tested for fit and function. Every unit is water pressure tested to 200 feet (60m). Ikelite backs their products with over 50 years of experience and the best reputation for service within the dive industry.
Camera CompatibilityThe Sony a6000 and a6300 cameras are very similar in size and configuration. Unfortunately, differences in lens placement prevent the cameras from being used interchangeably in this same housing. The a6500 camera cannot be used in other housing models.
- Serial number requirements
- AF35: not compatible
- DS50: yes, above serial number 70000
- DS51: yes
- DS125: yes, above serial number 5000
- DS160, DS161: yes
- DS200: yes, above serial number 7163
- Electrical sync cord compatibility
- Ikelite-to-Ikelite TTL Sync Cord (TTL) Product 4103.51
- Ikelite-to-Ikelite TTL Dual Sync Cord (TTL) Product 4103.52
- SEA & SEA / INON Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4118.1
- SEA & SEA / INON Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Dual Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4118.2
- Nikonos SB Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4116.31
- Nikonos SB Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (Manual) Product 4116.32
- Fiber optic cord compatibility
- Ikelite Fiber Optic Coiled Cord # 4501
- INON Optical D Cable "Non-wireless type" L-Connector
- SEA & SEA Fiber Optic Cable (L-type) # 50107
- SEA & SEA Fiber Optic Cable II # 50128
- Olympus UW Fiber Optic Cable PTCB-E02
- Nauticam Optical Fiber Cable # 26211 Nauticam to INON
- Nauticam Optical Fiber Cable # 26212 Nauticam to SEA & SEA
- Housing Back O-Ring # 0110
- Housing Front O-Ring # 0132.36
- Waterproof bulkhead cap # 9104.5
- Lubricant # 0184.1
- 1 year manufacturer warranty
- Lens port required for waterproof operation. Lens port sold separately.
- 200 ft (60m) depth rating
- Controls for all important camera functions
- Ikelite flash bulkhead connector with built-in TTL circuitry
- Two 1/4-20 threaded tray mounts with 3-inch (76mm) spacing
- Ikelite bulkhead connector with built-in TTL circuitry
- Slightly negative buoyancy in fresh water
- Actual buoyancy varies depending on choice of lens and port
- Weight 3.1 pounds (1430 g) not including port
- Dimensions 5.9 x 7.6 x 5.2 in (150 x 193 x 132 mm) including projections
- ABS-PC, acrylic, and acetyl construction
- 0110 - Back o-ring
- 0132.36 - Front port o-ring
- 9104.5 - Waterproof bulkhead cap
- 0184.2 - Silicone lubricant resealable 2cc tube