Canon EOS 5DS Full Frame DSLR Camera Body
Marking a new standard in high-resolution digital SLR photography, the Canon EOS 5DS camera shatters the status quo with a new 50.6 Megapixel, full-frame CMOS sensor. Perfect for commercial and fine art photography, or any other application that calls for extremely high-resolution, the EOS 5DS is the ultimate combination of EOS performance and ultra-high megapixel capture. It features an advanced, 61-point High Density Reticular AF system that includes 41 cross-type AF points and EOS iTR AF for precise AF in numerous situations.
FREE Standard Shipping to USA / CANADA!
Base Price $
Price as Configured $
Overview / Product Description
Canon EOS 5DS Full Frame DSLR Camera Body
Marking a new standard in high-resolution digital SLR photography, the Canon EOS 5DS camera shatters the status quo with a new 50.6 Megapixel, full-frame CMOS sensor. Perfect for commercial and fine art photography, or any other application that calls for extremely high-resolution, the EOS 5DS is the ultimate combination of EOS performance and ultra-high megapixel capture. It features an advanced, 61-point High Density Reticular AF system that includes 41 cross-type AF points and EOS iTR AF for precise AF in numerous situations. An anti-flicker function helps provide consistent exposure and color during continuous shooting under certain lighting conditions, while a built-in bulb timer and intervalometer expands creative opportunities without the need for an additional remote control. A refined mirror control mechanism reduces vibration and a Time Release Lag setting minimizes camera shake for sharp image capture when using mirror lock-up. New features like a crop function of 1.3x and 1.6x and a Custom Quick Control screen are complemented by advanced, multi-featured Full HD Movie capture, with Time Lapse Movie, and much more. With EOS performance and 50.6 Megapixel Capture, the EOS 5DS revolutionizes high-resolution photography!
More Resolution for Bigger Images
New 50.6 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor
The EOS 5DS camera features Canon's newest full-frame CMOS sensor. At 50.6 Megapixels, it's the highest resolution sensor in the history of EOS. It captures 8712 x 5813 effective pixels, delivering images with an unprecedented level of realism perfect for large-scale commercial printing, fine art, significant crops and any number of other high-end applications. Thanks to this amazing sensor, engineered to work in concert with dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors, the EOS 5DS is a remarkable, high-resolution camera with impressive performance.
New Fine Detail mode in Picture Style
Taking advantage of its sensor's high-resolution capturing power, the EOS 5DS camera has a new Picture Style called Fine Detail mode. Fine Detail emphasizes fine edges and patterns or textures by setting the camera's Sharpness sub-settings, fineness and threshold to their minimum and by lowering contrast settings as well. Prioritizing minute details in the image allows for better gradations, more detailed textures and fine edges for smoother, more polished photographs.
Speed and Accuracy with Intelligent Scene Recognition and Analysis
EOS Scene Detection System with RGB+IR Metering Sensor
The EOS 5DS camera has an amazing iSA Intelligent Scene Analysis system that employs an independent RGB+IR light sensor with approximately 150,000-pixel resolution. This sensor enables Canon's Intelligent Tracking and Recognition system (iTR AF) that detects and tracks subjects, automatically switching the AF point to optimize tracking. With new tracking algorithms tailored to recognize faces and colors, this system serves as a brilliant foundation to the EOS 5DS's AF system.
Precise and Fast AF for High Resolution Detail
61-point High Density Reticular AF
For fast, precise AF with sophisticated tracking performance, the EOS 5DS camera has an advanced, 61-point High Density Reticular AF system with up to 41 cross-type AF points. The EOS 5DS's AF system is incredibly sensitive to changes in composition, making adjustments quickly to help ensure consistent, sharp AF. A new RGB+IR AF (with approximately 150,000 pixels) sensor monitors subject motion, and Canon's iTR Intelligent Tracking and Recognition system synchronizes the active AF point with the subject's motion, helping to ensure that AF precision is maintained. With focus modes dedicated to the particulars of the shooting environment, the EOS 5DS realizes a level of focus accuracy befitting its 50.6 Megapixel sensor.
Mirror Vibration Control for Sharper images
Advanced Mirror control mechanism and shutter release time lag
The camera shake that occurs from the impact of an SLR's mirror can leave blurred details in the recorded image. This effect is magnified when working with a super high-resolution sensor like the one found in the EOS 5DS camera. To counter the effects of conventional, spring-driven SLR mirrors, the EOS 5DS features a newly developed Mirror Vibration Control system. The camera's mirror is not controlled by springs but instead is driven by a small motor and cams. This system suppresses the impact typical of the camera's mirror, significantly reducing impact and its effects on the image. A new Time Release Lag setting, easily accessed on the EOS 5DS's menu system, offers added protection against camera shake by setting the shutter release time intentionally longer so the camera does not begin the exposure until after the impact of the camera's mirror has diffused.
Better Accuracy in More Situations
With Canon's Anti-flicker function, the EOS 5DS camera is able to deliver accurate results under cycling lighting situations. Under flickering light, such as fluorescent lighting, a fast shutter speed may result in an irregular exposure. The EOS 5DS's Anti-flicker function detects the frequency and phase of the flicker and captures images near the point of peak brightness when the subject is most likely well illuminated.
Specialty Controls, Built Right In
Built-in intervalometer and bulb timer
The EOS 5DS camera offers time-lapse fixed-point shooting and long exposures without the need for a remote control. The EOS 5DS's interval timer takes from 1 to 99 shots at preselected intervals (from 1 second to 99 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds, or unlimited), ideal for shooting flowers as they bloom or clouds drifting through the sky. Captured exposures can even be collected and saved as an HD movie. Its built-in bulb timer keeps the shutter open for a designated amount of time, perfect for night photography, to capture the flow of traffic on a street corner, or any other situation where long exposure photography is warranted.
Simple Cropped Shooting, In Camera
1.3x and 1.6x crop shooting
For still photography, the EOS 5DS camera features the flexibility of a cropping feature that extends the shooting effect 1.3x and 1.6x. With 50.6 Megapixel capture, cropped shots are possible with plenty of resolution to spare. Images recorded at 1.3x (APS-H) are approximately 30.5 Megapixels (6768 x 4512) Large/Fine JPEG, while images recorded at 1.6x (APS-C) are approximately 19.6 Megapixels (5424 x 3616) Large/Fine JPEG. Particularly useful in extending the range of telephoto lenses, the crop function also improves the EOS 5DS's subject tracking capability with almost the entire frame covered with AF points. Image cropping can be displayed in the viewfinder either masked or overlaid with an outline showing the cropped area, and in Live View shooting the image is cropped by the effect chosen. Aspect ratios can also be defined, with the EOS 5DS shooting in 1:1, 4:3, and 16:9 ratios, in addition to the default 3:2.
Comprehensive Information, Right in the Viewfinder
Intelligent Viewfinder II
The EOS 5DS camera's Intelligent Viewfinder II makes it easy to both shoot, change and confirm camera settings and shooting modes all without looking away from the viewfinder. Displaying approximately 100% of the composition, the viewfinder can show settings like shooting mode, exposure level, white balance, drive mode, AF operation, metering mode, recording format, an electronic level and more. All of this information can be displayed by or superimposed easily over the image for review while shooting, and multiple views are customizable through the EOS 5DS's simple user interface.
Sophisticated Moviemaking with EOS
Full HD 30p movie capability
The EOS 5DS camera is a sophisticated movie-making machine, capturing Full HD movies with numerous manual controls at multiple frame rates and compressions. Featuring movie capture and manual controls, the EOS 5DS's shutter button can be programmed to capture still images when pressed during movie shooting.
|ALL-I||Compresses each frame. Although the file size is larger than IPB, each frame is not affected by the previous and next frames, making it suitable for editing and extracting frames.|
|IPB||Compresses the movie frame by referencing the previous and next frames. High compression is used, making it suitable for recording long movies.|
|Movie-recording Size||Total Recording Time||File Size |
|4GB Card||8GB Card||16GB Card|
|ALL-I||5 min.||11 min.||23 min.||654|
|IPB||16 min.||33 min.||1 h. 7 min.||225|
|ALL-I||6 min.||13 min.||26 min.||583|
|IPB||19 min.||38 min.||1 h. 17 min.||196|
|IPB||48 min.||1 h. 37 min.||3 h. 14 min.||78|
* If the recording time reaches 29 min. 59 sec., the movie shooting will stop automatically.
* There is no 4 GB file size limit for when the shooting stops automatically.
Time Lapse Movie function
An EOS first, the EOS 5DS camera even has a time-lapse movie feature that takes still photos at set intervals and joins them to create a silent movie. Perfect for showing the moving clouds across the sky, growth of a plant, changes in scenery, the flow of people walking and more, the EOS 5DS's Time Lapse Movie function creates professional-quality movies, in camera, without the need for a computer, saving precious time when out in the field.
Fast-Action Shots are Easy to Capture
High-speed continuous shooting
The EOS 5DS camera can continuously shoot up to 5.0 frames per second. Thanks to its speedy dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors plus its enhanced shutter mechanism and mirror drive, the EOS 5DS is capable of capturing full 50.6 Megapixel images at high speed with superb quality. This sophisticated balance between high pixel count and shooting speed ensures the EOS 5DS is always ready for the next shot.
Easy, Low-reflection Viewing
3.2-inch ClearView II LCD Monitor
The 3.2-inch ClearView II LCD monitor has 1,040,000 dots, anti-reflective construction and features Canon's ClearView technology for a bright, sharp display in any number of shooting situations. It's ideal for reviewing settings and images, as well as for shooting in Live View mode. In Live View, grid lines can be displayed in 9 sections, 24 sections, or 9 sections with diagonals, as can the electronic level, which helps ensure accurate level by displaying roll. For image review, the EOS 5DS camera has a dedicated Magnify/Reduce button for zooming in or out (up to 16x) simply by pressing the button and turning the Main Dial. Images can be protected or erased quickly, individually or in batches, and slideshows can be created with some or all images and can be sequenced by date, folders, movies, stills or rating. A clear and simple feature guide found in the camera's menu provides detailed reference information whenever needed.
Customizable, Easily Accessible Settings for Speedy Performance
Quick Control Screen
In addition to a conventional Quick Control screen, the EOS 5DS camera features a Quick Control button that enables the photographer to quickly and easily access the settings critical for the task at hand. The user can specify features to display, as well as their location and size on the screen. With the level of customization the Custom Quick Control screen offers, the EOS 5DS can work perfectly with the style of any photographer.
Quick and Easy Transfers, Plus Advanced Connectivity with USB 3.0
The EOS 5DS camera features a USB 3.0 digital terminal for fast transfer to PCs and printers, plus offers connectivity to Canon's WFT-E7 (Version 2) for wireless transfer and Wi-Fi compatibility.
Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex, camera
- CF card
* Type I drive (Incompatible with Type II and Microdrive.)
* High-speed writing possible with UDMA CF cards.
- SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
* High-speed writing possible with UHS-I SD cards.
* MultiMediaCard (MMC) cannot be used. (A card error will be displayed.)
Approx. 36 mm x 24mm (35mm Full-frame)
Canon EF Lenses (excluding EF-S Lenses)
Canon EF mount
High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
Effective pixels: Approx. 50.60 megapixels
Total pixels: 53.00 megapixels
Total Pixels: 53.00 megapixels
3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the image sensor
Dust Deletion Feature
- Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
* Removes dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
* At power ON: Performed for approx. 3 sec. (Operation indicated for 2 sec.)
At power Off: Performed for approx. 2 sec.
Manual operation: Performed for approx. 8.5 sec.
* Magnesium fluoride coating on the low-pass filter surface applied.
- Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
* The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a testshot and appended to subsequent images.
* The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the EOS software toautomatically erase the dust spots.
- Manual cleaning
Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
Still Image: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG, S-RAW+JPEG
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC; Audio: Linear PCM)
- Large: Approx. 50.3 Megapixels (8688 x 5792)
- Medium 1: Approx. 39.3 Megapixels (7680 x 5120)
- Medium 2: Approx. 22.1 Megapixels (5760 x 3840)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 12.40 Megapixels (4320 x 2880)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 350,000 Pixels (720 x 480)
- RAW: Approx. 50.3 Megapixels (8688 x 5792)
- M-RAW: Approx. 28.50 Megapixels (6480 x 4320)
- S-RAW: Approx. 12.40 Megapixels (4320 x 2880)
Crop - 1.3x
- Large: Approx. 30.5 Megapixels (6768 x 4512)
- Medium 1: Approx. 24.1 Megapixels (6016 x 4000)
- Medium 2: Approx. 13.6 Megapixels (4512 x 3008)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 7.6 Megapixels (3376 x 2256)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.5 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
Crop - 1.6x
- Large: Approx. 19.6 Megapixels (5424 x 3616)
- Medium 1: Approx. 15.4 Megapixels (4800 x 3200)
- Medium 2: Approx. 8.7 Megapixels (3616 x 2408)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 4.9 Megapixels (2704 x 1808)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
Aspect Ratio - 1:1
- Large: Approx. 33.5 Megapixels (5792 x 5792)
- Medium 1: Approx. 26.2 Megapixels (5120 x 5120)
- Medium 2: Approx. 14.7 Megapixels (3840 x 3840)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 8.3 Megapixels (2880 x 2880)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 1.6 Megapixels (1280 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.23 Megapixels (480 x 480)
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Large: Approx. 44.7 Megapixels (7712 x 5792)
- Medium 1: Approx. 34.9 Megapixels (6816 x 5120)
- Medium 2: Approx. 19.7 Megapixels (5120 x 3480)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 11.1 Megapixels (3840 x 2880)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.2 Megapixels (1712 x 1280)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.31 Megapixels (640 x 480)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Large: Approx. 42.5 Megapixels (8688 x 4888)
- Medium 1: Approx. 33.2 Megapixels (7680 x 4320)
- Medium 2: Approx. 18.7 Megapixels (5760 x 3240)
- S1 (Small 1): Approx. 10.5 Megapixels (4320 x 2432)
- S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.1 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
- S3 (Small 3): Approx. 0.28 Megapixels (720 x 408)
Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
* Records to either the CF card or SD card.
- Auto switch card
* When the current card becomes full, the camera switches to the other card automatically.
- Record separately
* The CF card and SD card record the same image at a different image recording quality (L, M, S1, S2, S3, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW)
- Record to multiple
* Both the CF card and SD card record the same image at the same image recording quality. (Also applies to RAW+JPEG, M+JPEG, and SRAW+JPEG)
Images recorded in a card can be copied to the other card
The following three types of file numbers can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The continuous numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card. (The numbering continues even when the folder changes.)
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
The image-recording quality can be selected in any combination of the three RAW and eight JPEG recording quality settings.
Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
* Scene Intelligent Auto will set [Auto] automatically.
* [Standard] is the default setting for [User Def. 1-3]
- Auto (AWB): Ambience priority
- Auto (AWB): White Priority
- Cloudy, Twilight, Sunset
- Tungsten light
- White fluorescent light
- Custom (Custom WB)
- Color temperature
* With an EX-series Speedlite having the color temperature information transmission feature, the color temperature setting changes to match the color temperature when the flash is fired. Set to approx. 6000K if the flash unit does not have the color temperature communication feature.
Auto White Balance
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
- Blue/amber bias: 9 levels
- Magenta/green bias: 9 levels
Color Temperature Information Transmission
Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally (At approx. 21mm eyepoint)
Approx. 0.71x / Angle of view 34.1_ (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1 (dpt))
Approx. 21mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
Dioptric Adjustment Correction
-3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
- AF information
AF point, focus confirmation, AF status indicator
- Exposure information
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, exposure warning
- Flash information
Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light
- Image information
Highlight tone priority (D+), maximum burst (2-digit display), card information
- Battery check
- Composition information
Grid, electronic level
- Warning symbol
Displayed if any of the following is set: Monochrome, white balance correction, One-touch recording quality switch, expanded ISO speed, or spot metering.
- Flicker detection
Depth Of Field Preview
Enabled with Depth-of-field preview button